Existing Member?

Exploring the world 1 place at a time

Catching a Moment - Home away from home

USA | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [165] | Scholarship Entry

It’s cold and late on a Tuesday night and the day’s work is finally over. Outside it’s raining as if God weeps from Heaven. Neon tubing from the local signage creates a kaleidoscope of glistening colour, reflecting off the puddles on the pavement. An array of colour hits my senses and I seek refuge in the pizza parlour.
The bell chimes above the door as I scan the crowded tables. A distinct laugh draws my attention to the back of the room and it is there I lay eyes on who I have come to see; my family away from home. I weave through the hazy room capturing snippets of conversation on my way past and occasionally my bag makes contact with someone. There’s a cacophony of sights, smells and sounds vying for my attention. I finally reach my destination, take some weight off and let them wash over me.
Televisions around the room show a baseball game in progress. I see the game drawing the attention of various men while their partners compete for their attention. Others sit with heads bowed close together absorbed in conversation. In the booths, children entertain themselves with the imaginings of their minds as their parents sink into the soft, comfortable leather.
I turn my attention to the people at the numerous tables, squashed together next me. My heart swells knowing that in this strange foreign land, there are a group of people standing beside me who care. This group of quirky and unique individuals are my friends and I am theirs. I arrived in Memphis a lost and homesick Australian teenager and they welcomed me with open arms.
Cutting through my musings is the familiar and distinct laugh drawing me back to the real world. I glance left and see Wade and Molly. Both have their heads thrown back and their eyes crinkled with genuine laughter. Molly’s long blonde, curly hair is twirled around her right forefinger; her signature pose. Wade is clutching his stomach laughing like a hyena; his signature pose. He has a laugh that you can’t help but mimic when you hear it. It doesn’t matter that you don’t know what he’s laughing at, it must be funny so you can laugh too.
At the sight of this I lift my camera. The lighting is perfect, the composition beautiful and the atmosphere tangible. I focus my lens, correct the exposure, take a deep breath and squeeze the button. In the second following the click of the shutter and whirring of the film I know I’ve captured the true essence of the moment; I captured joy and my heart soars.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About aroundtheworldin_days


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.