Existing Member?

Apokalipsis Abroad

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [792] | Comments [13] | Scholarship Entry

Dinner in Deepest Borneo

The longhouse chief wouldn't tell me where the gristly piece of meat he handed me came from. But I already knew.

I was there when the boar’s head had been purchased, snout, ears and all from a market downriver. Hundreds of vendors there specialized in everything from dragon fruit to live chickens. Among the goods spread on woven blankets and tables made from plastic crates, the decapitated head was one of the few things I was able to identify. I pointed to prices scrawled on scraps of cardboard and left with arms full of fruit impossible to find in a supermarket -- sour langsats, sweet, purple mangosteens, huge, pungent durians… plus one plastic bag full of the head of a boar, the most important gift my small expedition was bringing to the longhouse.

Delivering this bounty took a full day’s travel up the river. Initially we were able to take a public express boat, which was built like a rickety V2 ballistic missile. It was so cramped and noisy inside that we took turns keeping the boar’s head company while everyone else sat on the roof, watching the banks of the wide, brown river slowly becoming overwhelmed by jungle. A few hours and two warm rainstorms later we abandoned the metal express for a small wooden longboat, the only way to get to most of the Iban longhouses hidden deep in the jungles of Sarawak.

Shaded by trees, we glided swiftly upstream under the care of our pilot at the outboard and navigator at the bow, who alerted us to low-hanging branches when we needed to duck. The rain came again, colder now, splattering my face no matter how tight I pulled my plastic poncho around me. The navigator’s tee shirt was plastered to his little body but miraculously he still managed to smoke a miserable-looking cigarette.

Hours later, it was still raining when we arrived. Lanky men clad only in board-shorts and tattoos waded out to usher us to their longhouse. Made from timber lashed together with reeds, it was situated on stilts about ten feet off the ground and I could see ferns were growing from the underside of the floorboards. It was blessedly dry inside.

About twelve families lived together here, each with their own room that opened up into the common room, a long hallway. The rain had brought almost everyone inside from their daily business of shucking hill rice, corralling their vast colony of chickens or tapping the rubber trees that paid for the diesel that powered their generator.

This unlikely electricity allowed for dusky fluorescent lights that buzzed to life just before nightfall. A century ago the Ibans had been headhunters, but tonight they let us sit in the chief’s room before dinner with all of the children to watch American Idol on a small flickering television. Wild boar head was on the menu that night. It tasted delicious. It should have; it had come a long way.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

Comments

1

Great story! thanks for sharing

  borneo lover Mar 28, 2011 12:37 PM

2

Thanks, borneo lover. Glad you liked it!

  Aaron Mar 28, 2011 1:19 PM

3

Loved the story. Better than being there!

  Kathy Mar 28, 2011 1:34 PM

4

I'm not sure about that, Kathy ... I'd go back in an instant if I could! Thanks for the kind words.

  Aaron Mar 28, 2011 1:37 PM

5

Nicely done Aaron. You really made it come alive for me. (-:

  Robin Mar 28, 2011 2:13 PM

6

I want more! Great story, well crafted.

  Jeanette Mar 28, 2011 2:29 PM

7

Hi Robin and Jeanette! Thanks for the kind words. I'll let you know when I've written more about this particular trip :)

  Aaron Mar 28, 2011 7:42 PM

8

I like the story. Particularly the V2 missile part. Never been to Borneo myself, but sounds like a blast.

Question, though. Why Apokalipsis Abroad? And why the Greek spelling?

  dax Mar 28, 2011 10:35 PM

9

I've had a personal blog for a long time at www.ThisIsApokalipsis.com, so I figured if I was going to start a journal at World Nomads I should adapt that name somehow. The short version of the story is that Apokalipsis is a nickname I picked up while studying in Spain (so it's the Spanish, not the Greek spelling ... even if they are the same!).
The longer version is here: http://www.thisisapokalipsis.com/?p=199

Borneo is a blast, by the way. You should go.

  Aaron Mar 28, 2011 11:48 PM

10

Borneo seems to be mesmerizing :) I have another friend who talks about Borneo. And he vouches by the place..the location, the otans :), the warm people, the lovely forests and so much more..the longhouses, stories of Ibans :) u reminded me of all those :) lovely write up..I ll go through the longer version as well..!

  Leks Mar 29, 2011 6:14 PM

11

Borneo seems to be mesmerizing :) I have another friend who talks about Borneo. And he vouches by the place..the location, the otans :), the warm people, the lovely forests and so much more..the longhouses, stories of Ibans :) u reminded me of all those :) lovely write up..I ll go through the longer version as well..!

  lekshminair Mar 29, 2011 6:22 PM

12

Thanks so much for your comment on my story, it means a lot especially since this is the first piece of travel writing I've put out there. I love your story, you recreate the atmosphere really well - makes me want to experience the same! Good luck with the competition!

  monikita Apr 2, 2011 4:19 AM

13

Hey mate, I appreciate the kind words. This piece is fantastic as well, look forward to reading more.

  raeynn Apr 12, 2011 1:31 PM

About aro-tron


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.