Existing Member?

From Where You'd Rather Be

May 2011- QLD, Australia

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 24 May 2011 | Views [266]

QLD, Australia

My Mum called me and told me my Grandpa was unwell and she had flown to QLD to be with him. I was told it was a matter of days and after hanging up realised i needed to make one of the biggest decisions of my life. To spend the money and go home and say goodbye to my Grandpa? That is, if i made it in time? Or stay in London, all the way on the other side of the world to the rest of my family, risking losing the chance to hold his hand one last time or if the worst was to happen- having to grieve alone? ...When my Mum told me how much it meant to her to be able to hold his hand and say she loved him i knew what i had to do...I booked the flight that night and was on the plane the next day. My London employers understood and were very supportive of my decision. My brother was willing to loan me the money. It was the longest plane trip of my life and throughout the journey i had no idea if my Grandpa was still with us.

I was very lucky to have the chance to say goodbye in person to my Grandpa and spend a week holding his hand, reminiscing with other family by his bedside and telling him how much we loved him. When he passed we were in a world of sadness. I will miss you so much Zada and will love you always.

About arm


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.