Existing Member?

From Where You'd Rather Be

November 2010-London, UK

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 19 November 2010 | Views [350]

London, UK

I have now been living in London for 5 months. I cannot believe that many months have gone by, yet it makes sense when i think back to the fact that I have experienced the balmy Summer days, the colourful and leafy Autumn days and am now seeing the beginning of frost as Winter starts to show. On Monday I witnessed a frozen playground for the first time. The ground was wet, the slide and swings were wet and alot of the handle bars and parts of the see-saw were completely covered in ice. It was a sight that I've never seen before and I know that this is just the beginning. I've also started wearing my thermals and excited with the array of beanies, scarves, gloves, berets, ear muffs that back in Sydney were an accessory barely worn but here are a necessity as any skin exposed feels frozen if not covered!!!!

Autumn appears to be ending sooner than expected here, the trees were beautiful throughout October. There were yellow, orange, red and green leaves-all these colours could sometimes even be seen on one leaf. I told O and A that back home our leaves barely ever changed to orange, red and yellow; to which O replied "Are they blue?"

I am very impressed with the transport system here. I don't know how i'll adjust back to the old-school Sydney system after experiencing the tube. However, the passengers are not at all respectful of one another and quite rude at times which can be very frustrating and tiresome-thank goodness my job doesn't involve a commute! I am still amazed by the fact that all buses here are double-decker and red. I really thought that they were just tourist buses for daytrips and the thought amuses me everytime. Every single time i ride the bus I sit on the top-deck because it's such a novelty!

Some more things i have noticed as an Aussie living in London:

  • The traffic lights change from green to orange to red as in Australia. However they also change from red to orange to green; giving drivers a head-start to being able to go.
  • Huge plastic tubs have been dotted on pavements around the neighbourhood recently labelled 'GRIT/SALT.' I assume this is for the ice on the roads that is coming!
  • Londoners pronounce the brand "Pantene" as PAN-TEN. Makes me laugh everytime.
  • Ugg boots by the brand 'UGG AUSTRALIA' sell the average ugg boot at around £150. That's $AU244!
  • Things such as memory cards for cameras and getting digital photo prints are considerable higher priced over here.
  • Mobile phone deals whether pay as you go or contract practically all include unlimited internet! Before coming over here I had never even seen what the internet looked like on my phone-hello 21st century!
  • The main streets in the city centre have 'Christmas Light' nights where the Christmas lights are turned on for the first time and there is entertainment to go with it.
  • Guy Fawkes Day is celebrated all over London with fireworks and bonfires. It is legal to buy fireworks here but not to let them explode in public places.
  • Good luck crossing at pedestrian crossings! Here they are marked as in Australia but with the addition of flashing lamps on either side of the road- but in my experience it seems that cars have right of way!

About arm


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.