Existing Member?

archtraveler

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [136] | Scholarship Entry

Culture as one of the consideration why we want going to one place, culture it self could shown by many objectives thing, from the clothes, arts, habits, peoples, vistas, and foods. Yes, sometime we will going to someplace because that things, for example I wanna go to Padang, one of the most visited city in west Indonesia. I wanna go there actually because not only the vista or the beautiful building (traditional building) like Rumah Gadang, but I want to tasting the original flavor of tradition that shown by a traditional food called rendang. Now a day, so many Padang restaurant sells many kind of rendang, but the taste it self should be adapted with the place where it sold, like in west java usually the rendang will made with the sweeter taste, or maybe the other place will transformed with sour taste that actually the rendang has to be spicy if we taste it originally from Padang. In this case too, the way thy make the original food shows how the culture born. In Padang usually they cook Rendang for 24-48 hours to get tasteful and very light meat to eat, it shown that Padang peoples like to make something not in hurry, they are really patient and preserving to make the best that can made. This is become the character and tradition in Padang, when they make something like building, clothes, or an art, their creation really hard to made. In this case the food it self could explain the small part of the tradition in one place, in another side of Indonesia is java. so actually there are many way to show you the culture of one place, it could be the clothes they wear, the building they made, the dance they do, or the food they eat, it could be the key or the small part to tell you the whole story of tradition.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About archtraveler


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.