Existing Member?

Cuba , the most unique island ever

Relativity island

ITALY | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [172] | Scholarship Entry

When you arrive to " Relativity island" , you have two alternatives : follow the crowd or follow the music.
Open your ears , because I am teaching you to listen.
This is a journey of 2500 km from age to age through chatter , silences, and every feeling we are able to absorb.
Cuba is a relativity island because it does not exist an absolut truth to define it , where principles and ethics are various and not every time they coincide.
I am walking around the capital , Havana, sipping a palatable daiquiri cocktail made by "el Floridita", the beloved club of Hemingway .
I feel like everyone is staring at me, but I don't feel in danger: Havana is chaotic and noisy but the people are really friendly.
This is why I accept the invitation of my extemporize turistic guide .
Jose, has to be around 25 , it is really hard to tell , because many years working in the countryside may have altered the features of his face.
He smell like canchánchara, the most famous drinks in Trinidad, the place where he come from: base full of sweet honey and strong and bitter liquor on top.
I am experiencing an extremely charming situation . walking up and down the city , Jose indicate me the Sevilla hotel: which was the nerve center of Meyer Lansky and Mafia of the thirties.
We move to the old Havana center , to reach the revolution's museum , afterwords.
My interlocutor is reluctant to share his idea about the regime with me, but I can savvy that he is to young to feel the weight of the past,
about a circumstance in which he was forced to live. I have always delight the utopia of the communist revolution, but at the same time, I can't judge the desire to emulate the West part of the world.
Even if the Embargo from the USA was revoked just in November , It is clearly perceptible the American influence in Cuba.
No many citizens want to work for the state anymore, so many of them prefer to begging .
The night is coming , is time to get changed to salsa dancing all night, far from the touristic places , waiting for the sunrise.
I am watching out of the bus window, Havana is 45 km behind my back. The next stop will be in Camaguey , a colonial town famous for its colors and for art installations.
I can not wait to reach the montain , up to " Sierra maestra" , where Fidel Castro and Che Guevara organized the revolution, but i need some rest firt so i decide to enjoy few days along the beach: doing snorkeling and long walks barefoot on soft sand...

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About apertisverbis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.