Existing Member?

My travels

the project - week two

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 28 July 2009 | Views [439]

the first project is now finished! it took us two days extra than planned. it went brilliantly and the kids loved the sports. they were huge fans of tug-of-war, rounders and skittles - all new games for them. Each day there were less and less kids - they either had to help at home picking rice (most families are self-sufficient and need to collect the rice to last them throughout the dry season) or were going to the village's self-help community centre where they can get extra classes. It's an amazing centre set up by a local man where kids can go to free english lessons or learn agriculture, basket weaving etc. Attendence is completely voluntary and the children are split into groups. They then make up their own rules and discipline each other. It might sound a bit too idealistic but it is a huge success, as shown by kids going there for a full day's schooling on their summer holidays.

Weekend - Did a cooking course. It was brilliant but slightly doubtful I will ever be able to repeat it at home!

Also went to Wat Bo. We met a monk who was keen to practise English so was more than happy to explain what different things meant. The temple itself was not Buddhist but is now used by Buddhist monks. The paintings on the walls were amazing although half is missing from when the Khmer Rouge shot the walls and tried to burn it down as part of their effort to stamp out religion in the country..

Moving onto Bang Melea tomorrow to start the next project. It is in the jungle and we will be living in a house with no water or electricity. As the 'shower' will be bucket in the garden we had to buy Khmer sarongs to cover our whole body. It's not the most attractive garment I've seen in my life but needs must!

About aoife_duffy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.