Existing Member?

My travels

Kanchanburi/Siem Reap

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 12 July 2009 | Views [409]

After Bangkok we headed to Kanchanaburi which is a few hours north of Bangkok. It was much more enjoyable than Bangkok - quieter and less in your face. We hired bicycles and cycled out to these caves where there were loads of buddhist statues etc it was really interesting seeing the monks inc. child monks who were no older than 9 or 10. We covered miles on the bikes and were able to take our surroundings in better than if we had been on a bus. the only down side was the state of us after having cycled so long in such warm weather... it was not a pretty sight!!

Next day we went on a tour where we swam in the Erawan waterfalls. Then we were taken to an elephant camp where we rode an elephant and went bamboo rafting. The train on the Death Railway had overturned so we weren't able to take a ride on the train which had been part of the tour.

Following day we went to the tiger temple where monks have raised tigers to be tame. Despite being quite scared initially I got a bit braver towards the end and petted quite a few.

dinner most evening was in the night market - the food is gorgeous and we have tried so many different things.

On Friday we flew to phnom penh in cambodia, we stayed one nght then yesterday took a six hour bus to siem reap. I really like cambodia so far. We didnt do much today because of the heat. We went in the early evening to the night market - it's completely aimed at tourists but there is some amazing stuff there. I'm having to try very hard at not buying everything..

Induction for our volunteer work starts tomorrow morning so that's where the real fun will begin!

About aoife_duffy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.