Existing Member?

Anywhere I have visited and anywho I've met on the way

France at first glance

FRANCE | Tuesday, 29 April 2014 | Views [189] | Scholarship Entry

After a restless night in Edinburgh awaiting my connecting flight and a flight over England and western France through a hazy sky, I step off the plane into a golden light and a warm blustery breeze that was sweetly scented by the dry fertility of the landscape. - Perhaps this description is a little too Romantic however this is how I remember it to be and I shall not be held accountable for any enthusiasm-fueled exaggeration (which I must admit that I am rather prone to). Having studied French for 8-9 years, I have never really experienced France on any other level than a ten-day family holiday in Sainte-Maxime. I was so exited to be surrounded by the new sights, a new atmosphere and a familiar language.

Listed on the World Heritage List as architecturally outstanding, Bordeaux does fail to astound. Only about 30 minutes from l’Aeroport Merignac stepping off the bus is like stepping onto a film set. The limestone facades of the 18th Century town centre radiate uniformly from La Porte de la Lune, unblighted by the interruption of modern red-bricked developments annexed onto or sandwiched in between.
I disembark from the bus at 11am and quickly find my way to the long Rue Sainte-Catherine which along with its side streets is lined with boutiques, the names of which become grander as one walks from Place de la Victoire towards Place de la Comédie.

My first experience of French food - I visited a chlichédly traditional French café-bar. I ignorantly select the salade de lentilles aux magret de canard fumé tranché. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the oaky smoked flavour of the duck against the sharp pickled lentils.

This was all served by a small child who mumbled to me, "Tu veut encore du pain?" So quickly that it took me around three attempts to understand him. This was a reminder that it would indeed take a long stay in France to actually learn how to speak and understand! After digesting - I wander for a few more hours.

At 6pm I meet Marie, my new roommate. She is very welcoming with an air of honesty and directness. A 22 year old Parisian, she is studying for a masters in Political Science. We then lightly discuss Irish and French politics and share our goals and ambitions for the future over noodles, rice and beef. A magnificent end to the evening.

From the cobbled streets to the terracotta roofs that line the skies, everything about Bordeaux is fresh, warm and inviting. Now, I am more than impatient to move to here for the following year!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About anywhereanywho


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.