Existing Member?

Conquering Krabi

Climbing to Tiger Cave Temple

THAILAND | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [489] | Scholarship Entry

“1,237 steps,” a sign warned.

We craned our necks to see the temple atop the mountain. The golden capstone shined in the late morning sun, visible for miles around. We wanted to climb to the top.

It was not difficult to begin with. The stairs rose steadily but were manageable and well maintained. I was tired but determined, we had limited time. About a third of the way up the stairs rose higher than my knees. I had to leverage my weight on the handrails, lifting myself up so I could hike my weight onto the next step. We had to climb sideways because the steps were too narrow for our feet and we slipped trying to go forwards. I joked that it would be easier to scramble up the foliage than ascend these treacherous steps.

Monkeys eyed us mischievously so we made sure to stay out of their way. Blue handrails were marked with numbers in red paint, telling us how many steps we had already overcome. Further up, the steps were damp, wet with natural running water and moss, making the path slippery as well as steep.

Memories of pivotal moments in my life struck me each time I wanted to give up. I was awed by the view at each new platform where the stairs levelled off to turn a corner. I remembered the events which had brought me to that very moment, left at a standstill gaping at the view. This climb would join those life-changing experiences.

I was awed by the variety of green, shades and tones I couldn’t distinguish at that distance. I am a daughter of big cities and had never seen so many trees accompanied by so few buildings, not a skyscraper in sight.

We persevered to reach the top and I was overwhelmed with a sense of peace, joy and accomplishment. We had reached our goal and were rewarded with the best views Krabi had to offer.

At Krabi’s highest lookout we were greeted by a tropical rainforest. Mountains and valleys, all laid out beneath us, the landscape stretched to an ocean horizon. Caves could be seen hiding in the cliffs.

The views were worth every hazardous step.

As we descended, we passed others in our group. We encouraged them to hang on, drink plenty of water and keep going because it’s truly worth the climb. We sped down the staircase, stumbling more than once. Our legs shook from exertion, our breath short with exhaustion. It is incredible the monks climb these steps multiple times a day.

At the base, we craned our necks to see how far we had gone. The golden capstone shined in the midday sun.

We had conquered 1,237 perilous steps.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About annette

Hanging out and admiring the view.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.