Existing Member?

Antarctic Adventure

Photo Editing: One Month Later

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 21 April 2010 | Views [1781] | Comments [4]

It’s been a month since my return from Antarctica and Argentina. I’ve just finished writing my blog entries, which was a much more difficult process than I had anticipated. There was a few distinct rough patches on my journey, and writing them down succinctly, without losing the original feeling or being overly dramatic, was a challenge. Not to mention having to listen to my in-between-vomits voice recordings!

Photo editing is always much more fun. The first round was a little disheartening as I see all the dud images mixed in the with the good, but after the initial cull and one views only the selections, the trip seems much more successful.

Jason flew up from Melbourne to help me edit in Sydney. He had gone through my photos several times and performed a first round cull too. We spent the day camped out at my local library, comparing our selections - it was quite amazing how different they were!

Jason and I edit very differently. I tend to pick my photos based on the emotional connection I have with them. For example, a portrait would have much more significance to me if I had a good conversation with my subject during the shoot. Similarly, I would like a landscape shot a lot more if I was having fun at the time. My selections end up being a series of images that I can talk animatedly about, but probably wouldn’t be as strong without the voiceover.

On the other hand, Jason selections are more objective, taking into consideration the position of photo editors and the readers they are purchasing for. He aims for his photo narratives to form a descriptive statement about a place, whether it be political, cultural, architectural etc.

Editing with Jason also highlighted some technical aspects that I should improve on too. Bar out in naked Australian sunlight, I usually shoot at 400ISO, my argument being that I need the speed for portraiture as expressions come and go so quickly. Viewing my images at 100% however, it’s evident that 400ISO is very very noisy. Jason suggested that I start to play with the ISOs, especially with landscapes. Sometimes a little movement in the frame is okay too, provided other elements are sharp.

I should be experimenting with focal length and aperture too. Currently, I’m addicted to my fixed 35mm f/1.4. It has a short focusing distance, allowing me to be quite close to my subject, while the large aperture sucks in light - a big help in low light conditions. It also has a natural vignette darkening the corners which, along with the narrow depth-of-field, helps make a stardard portrait look like quite a bit more. But while it is a beautiful lens, it does have a very distinct look, which runs the risk of a monotonous series. I have to be careful not to be blinded by the superficial elements of an image, and risk overlooking the composition or content.

One thing that exasperated Jason incessantly was my tendency to crop. Jason is old skool in that he does everything in-camera - every element has it’s place and it’s too late to make changes once you’re in postproduction. Me? I grew up with photoshop and lightroom, cropping is almost second nature. It’ll be difficult, but I’m going to try and spend more time with each shot, to work the frame and the elements, rather than snapping two shots and losing interest. 

Tags: antarctica, photography

Comments

1

Hi Anna, thanks for sharing your experience in Antartica with us. I quite enjoyed reading your blog, and heartily sympathise over the horrible motion sickness!! I'm almost - almost but not quite! because it would have been quite literally a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - relieved it wasn't me.
I'm looking forward to checking out your photos. Please do follow Jason's criteria on choosing the final photos, because while a photo may have a certain emotional significance to you, it doesn't for the rest of us. We can only appreciate the visual aspect, and whatever context you can get across in the caption.
Cheers, and best of luck!

  Shiow Chin Apr 22, 2010 2:46 PM

2

Hey Anna, pleased to hear you at least made it back in one piece! Seems you had quite a wild time out there by any measure. Fascinating insights into photo selection at the end here too; can't wait to see the results.

  simon_monk Apr 28, 2010 11:28 PM

3

Anna, enjoyed you blog very much well written, I felt like I was sitting down listening to you, great story, My specific interest in your experience is that I am heading of to Antarctica at the end of this month, so I'm looking forward to all of it, good or bad, in all of my travels to various countries, I have experienced some amazing things, and sometimes the most rememberable are the bad experiences, for some reason they tend to be as clear in the mind as if they only happened yesterday. Anyway again well done great story.

PS I have put my website address at the bottom, hopefully will have some photos of Antarctica up there by xmas 2010, bye

Jaime Dormer
www.jdphotography.com

  Jaime Dormer Oct 16, 2010 1:10 AM

4

Oops, I put the wrong website address it is
www.jdphotographics.com

cheers

  Jaime Dormer Oct 16, 2010 1:12 AM

About annazhu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.