Existing Member?

Antarctic Adventure

Day 1, Ushuaia, 1.3.2010

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 14 April 2010 | Views [1504]

My first impression of Jason was – ‘Wow, he’s a lot bigger than I thought he was.’ Not big as in tall or heavy, but solidly built, like a bear.

I arrived at Buenos Aires’ Jorge Newbery airport an hour before our scheduled flight down to Ushuaia. The plane had just started to board, and I was waiting impatiently at the gate, trying not to think about what Jason had said a week earlier: “I’m notorious for missing flights.” I was vainly attempting to dial international on a nearby payphone when I heard, “Anna! Anna Zhu!” I look over to the window, and there he was, bulk silhouetted against the back-light and waving a giant paw in greeting.

I was relieved and intimidated at the same time. My mentor-to-be, is clearly a physical mass to be reckoned with. He’s broad shouldered and sturdy, with a footy player’s build. I guess I took extra notice of his size because I’m pint-sized in comparison. The physicality of professional photography is a challenge I’ve already started battling as a photographer’s assistant. It’s also been one of my top concerns in the lead up to Antarctica. Jason looked liked he would be right at home on the ice, whereas I’m more suited to lazing about on the beach.

We spent a slow afternoon in Ushuaia, getting to know the town and each other. It was evident pretty quickly that Jason is a dream mentor. He was unerringly patient, listened carefully to all my questions, encouraged my thoughts, and was never condescending. On top of that, he was belly-achingly fun to be around.

I learnt not to discount the little things – flowers on a windowsill, a construction site, a church, teenage skaterboarders. When fitted together these images all help to tell a story, and it’s the well-rounded narrative that photo-editors will be interested in buying.

And knee-bending is very important. It’s something that many photographers forget to do. Lower yourself and the angle of your shot, you just may get something more interesting.

Tags: antarctica, photography

About annazhu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.