Existing Member?

Anna in Italy "You may have the universe if I may have Italy." Giuseppe Verdi

The Days Go By

ITALY | Thursday, 19 September 2013 | Views [745] | Comments [16]

And time ticks on here in Macerata at pretty much the same rate as other parts of the world, though it's a little more relaxed here and I feel like I have more time on my hands. However, this doesn't mean I am sitting around doing nothing. By far the most common question I am getting from people is "But what are you doing with yourself there?" as if there is actually nothing to do outside the sprawling metropolis of Melbourne. So in this post I will attempt to inform people what I have been doing since I arrived in Macerata. 

1.     Enrolment, administration, paperwork & registrations ad infinitum

Make no mistake, there is enough of this when you come to a different country. I’ve had to enrol in the university, apply for a bus pass, apply for a “codice fiscale” (don’t ask me what that is in English, some social security number), apply for a university canteen pass (well I haven’t actually done this yet, I took one look at the application and gave up) and go through the traumatic experience of applying for residency. And the bureaucracy here is quite astonishingly sluggish; it appears to be impossible to get anything accomplished at one location. You arrive somewhere, take a ticket and wait in line for an hour, then you get a form filled out and stamped and are told to go somewhere else. And of course, when you get to the next place, it is probably closed, because Italian office hours are the most unpredictable of any I have ever seen. One place is open from 8:30-12:30, the next one from 2:30-5:00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and etc. The residency application is a story in itself, but I won’t put it here, it’s rather long and I wouldn’t want to bore you guys. Anyway, the point is, I’m glad I’ve had time on my hands, because it hasn’t been an issue for me. I’ve been able to just go home and come back the next time the office is open, no stress :-)

2.     Soaking up the sun in preparation for yet another winter

Since I am probably going to miss most of the Australian summer, I feel justified in getting as much sun as I can now. So I’ve been chilling out on the terrace reading, and I took the train out to the beach last weekend and got suuunbuuurnt. But it was a beautiful day and a lovely beach, though not as nice as those I saw in Sardinia.

Beach1

Beach2

3.     Finding my way around the rabbit warren that is Macerata

I found the labyrinth of streets, particularly in the old city, to be quite daunting at first, but I’ve been taking walks there almost every day, in the hope that when uni commences next week I will be able to find my way around and get to classes without my nose stuck in a map. See, the University of Macerata isn’t like La Trobe Uni, or indeed any other university I have seen in Australia, where you have campuses, and everything you need is located on the campus. It’s basically just buildings scattered around the city, with classrooms, lecture theatres, faculty offices, and at least 8 different libraries strewn all over the place.

I’ve also been checking out cheap places to eat, since I hate cooking, and buying groceries from the local supermarkets. Grocery shopping is actually a huge project, because none of the brands are familiar (except Nutella) and so I have to actually read what all the products are before I buy them. And I have to say I have yet to discover a shop that sells edible bread, apparently it’s not a staple here unless used in pizza.

I discovered the most gorgeous public gardens here at the end of last week, and have been heading down there almost every day since. I think they must be the only flat place in Macerata, because practically the whole town seems to go jogging there in the evenings.

Gardens1

Gardens2

Gardens3

4.     Practicing my Italian

In many places I have been giving out that I am Norwegian, so that people won’t automatically start speaking English to me. It has worked fairly well, and I feel like I’m getting quite a bit of training. The subjunctive tense has, however, been nothing less than a disaster for me. Every time I open my mouth with this tense, the locals gape in shock and either give me this huge thumbs-up or start to laugh. It’s really embarrassing!!!  One Italian girl said to me after I had used it (and I quote): “I giovani in Italia dicono che il congiuntivo è morto.” #Nicky #Luigi #Michele: well that was three wasted years of blood, sweat and tears learning it... :-)

Ahhh this post was supposed to be a short one, but it ran away with me again. I’ll keep you guys posted on other stuff that happens here, particularly when my classes start. Ciao for now! 

Kindergarten

LE11

Comments

1

How lovely to experience the city with you as I read. :). I even took a few deep breath to trying to smell the warm summer air....It is rainy and cold here now. =). <3.

  Bessie Sep 20, 2013 8:42 PM

2

:) We're off to LPC today for the beginning of the Spring Conference - and thinking of you. Hug from me.

  Henkela Sep 21, 2013 2:20 PM

3

Haha Bessie, what's new in Norway?? ;-) We better make Sardinia a tradition hey?!

@Henkela: thinking of you too, often! Hope you all have a wonderful time! xox

  Anna Sep 21, 2013 6:30 PM

4

Hi Anna, nice to hear you a all settled in. Good luck with your first days at Uni! xx

  Katie Sep 21, 2013 11:44 PM

5

Hi Anna sounds like everything is running on Italian time. Italians take "no worries" to the next level unless it involves food. Glad you are finding your way around and enjoying the experience. Thinking if you and sending a hug.

  Fiona Naccari Sep 26, 2013 12:15 AM

6

Anna I'm finally on your blog 3 weeks later and just had a good laugh....
hugs from me and riley

  Ruth Sep 27, 2013 4:24 PM

7

@Katie: Thanks for commenting once again. You're getting there... :)

@Fiona: Yeah I'm starting to understand this Italian time thing, classes at uni have started between 20 and 30 minutes late every time so far :) But the pizza is amazing, I am officially a margherita addict!! We'll have to have an Italian food night when I get back :)

@Ruth: You finally made it on the blog, about time! :) Call me soon, I'm dying to see you and Riles again xxooxx

  Anna Sep 27, 2013 8:32 PM

8

Hi Anna!! Finally got on your blog again and loved reading all the updates...I'll come here whenever I'm in need of a laugh :) I love the photos. What a nice city...I would love to explore there!
Ranita is enjoying your blog too ;)

  Anna Nooit Sep 28, 2013 1:15 PM

9

Italian food night it is!!! Buono!

  Fiona Naccari Sep 29, 2013 9:52 AM

10

@AnnaNooit: Oh how nice Ranita's getting into it. Big hi to both of you from me!! xx

@Fiona: Cannelloni! Spaghetti! Lasagna!!! I'm already looking forward to it :):):)

  Anna Sep 29, 2013 6:48 PM

11

Hi Anna,Just read the last two blogs, nice to hear how its going for you! And see the photo's, pity you are so far a way,otherwise I'd come to the market with you and cook a dinner! Love from my little corner!

  Johanna Streefkerk Sep 29, 2013 9:31 PM

12

@Johanna: would it be the tuna and broccoli dish?? Ah don't make me homesick, good memories :)

  Anna Sep 30, 2013 5:30 PM

13

I've loved reading your blogs Anna. I have introduced you to my Mum and we both had a good laugh, and now every time I read 'Macherata' I try to pronounce it correctly! So nice you share so livingly (hmm is that a word?). I noticed our local Neighbourhood Centre has Italian lessons for beginners but maybe I should concentrate on English. Spent almost 2 weeks in Sydney, some days before and after the conference, staying with Johanna, and had an especially good time. Back here Spring is still trying to find its feet: 17 today and tomorrow and still rain on and off, but perhaps we will have a late Summer and you can top up your tan :) Look forward to the next chapter Anna and thanks very much for the postcard - warmed my heart. Caio belle

  Maggie Dickson Oct 6, 2013 8:53 PM

14

Hi Maggie, how nice to hear from you, thanks for your comment!! The weather has taken an abrupt change, it's now freezing cold :) In the blink of an eye, it changed from sunny every single day to practically sub-Antarctic temperatures. So from now on you guys have no need to be jealous of my weather.
I'm glad you like the blog, makes me motivated to write more :) You should definitely start learning Italian, your English is already Oxford standard :p, and Italian really is a beautiful language... Talk to you soon! lots of love xx

  Anna Oct 6, 2013 9:13 PM

15

ciao anna che bel mare e parco bellissimo divertiti e studia

  i love you anna Dec 25, 2013 2:38 AM

16

I love you too mino... sei nel mio cuore, per sempre!!! <3

  Anna Dec 26, 2013 9:37 AM

About annarisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.