Existing Member?

Anna's New Zealand adventures

Travellin' Up North!

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 1 February 2008 | Views [718]

We've just arrived in Paihia and booked into a hostel- washed, fed and watered, the washed bit was a top priority after spending two nights on a campsite at a tiny village on the east coast called Whananaki- the campsite was lovely, right on the edge of the estuary, again we could quite literally jump from the tent into the water. However the campsite is what would be a pimary school playing field during term time and the facilities were basic- well a tap to be precise! After 3 days with no shower we were all in a bit of a state and so have treated ourselves to a couple of days in a hostel... which is so cute, it's called the Mousetrap and it is a real warren of a place, all decorated in a nautical theme. The area we are in is described as a backpacker ghetto- which it is but this place is really quirky and the owners are super friendly.

While in Whananki we swent on another coastal walk to see a monument to some sailors who were killed when their lifeboat capsized- it was, again, sa really hot day but the ocean looked fabulous blue and we passed a series of private but stunning white sandy beaches. One of which had a lovely little summer house (or bach as they call them here) with a veranda and rolling lawn down to beach on it and Clare and I were tempted to make the owner an offer. However even with the low house prices we didn't think our pooled funds would quite reach to it- pity!

Whananki also boasts the longest footbridge in the southern hemisphere- which we duly crossed (quite a few times on our way to the fish and chip/cafe and back). It was really lovely there is absolutely nothing about the place in the guide book so it is so local and quiet but really friendly- on poutr last night we had coffee in the cafe and played ludo but the game went on a bit (understatement of the century) till eventually the owner began to shut up- when we asked if she'd like us to move she said we were welcome to stay there till we finished and she went off home!   

Anyway I'm off to explore Paihia properly and I think we are planning on buying some lamb to have the much anticipated and talked about lamb-bbq combination tonight. We are also expecting Pip at any moment as he left us he left us in Whangarei, where we spent the night to break up the journey a bit, to visit a friend in Dargaville.

Thanks for all the e-mails and comments- it is lovely to hear what is going on at home and (mum and dad) the weather updates makes me appreciate the beautiful sunshine (which I am taking for granted at the moment!)

love to you all- I miss you lots but still feels like I'll be ssing you soon,

much love

Annie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.