Existing Member?

The Edge of Glory My travels to Myanmar (Burma); Angkor Wat; and Krabi

Dreamworld

USA | Wednesday, 13 June 2012 | Views [519] | Comments [3]

First and foremost-apologies for previous and any typos, grammar, etc. Again, internet is slow.

So here I am in Inle Lake. (In-Lay) and let me tell you what happened last night. I saw a roach slightly bigger than the size of a quarter AND a lizard!!!!! YEP-so needless to say-I slept yet again with all the lights turned on!!!

Anyhoo-so I am not a fan of Yangon or Bago. I do LOVE the Schwedagon Pagoda in Yangon. It is absolutely out of this world. 66 tons of gold and a 76 carat diamond on top of the stupa (never mind all the gems) and of course the infamous Shwethalyaung Reclining Buddha (180 ft in length and 53 in height) Although this famous statues and sacred landmarks are truly extraordinary and dear to my heart these cities itself is congested, dirty, and with a lot of unfortunate people living there.Also Golden Rock in Kyaiktiyo is unbelievable!!! There are no words to describe such beauty!!

However, here I am and have been for the last few days in the Shan State. Dirt as red as bricks. The people in this area still live as they have in the past. Farming is done the old fashion way using the water buffalo (no machines!!!) and same goes with road paving!!! There is a huge pine forest believe it or not!! Cows, horses, roosters, pigs and chicken roam free!! Just minding about their own business and eating grass on the side of the road.

I had the opportunity to meet local families who specialized in different things. A silver smith, paper maker-made from boiled, pounded tree bark and flowers to give the paper charm. These paper maker folks also make paper umbrella (yes they are waterproof and gorgeous!!) I was able to meet families who weave scarfs, longyi, shirts, etc from silk worm and from lilies!!! This is all done the old fashion way-no machines, dyes are made from plants and flowers in the area-no chemicals. These things are tedious, time consuming and hard labor.I also met the Long Neck Tribe woman!!!! AWESOME!!!

I traveled throughout the Inle Lake region by jetty. There are no words to describe the beauty of this lake. It should not exist-well maybe in some sort of fairy tale. It is eerie, it is glorious, it is enchanting. Mythical creatures must exist here!!! By the way-these folks are incredibly resourceful!!! They grow acres and acres of tomatoes on the water!!!!

Pindaya Cave is amazing!!!!! Close to 9,000 Buddha statues inside this cave!!! I think I spent at least 4 hours in there!!! It is unreal!!! Legend has it that 7 sisters were bathing a lake close by when a storm hit, so the sisters took refuge inside this cave. However, they could not leave the cave biggest a giant spider blocked the entrance so a Prince saved the 7 sisters. All the sisters fell in love with the Prince but he only fell in love with the youngest sister so the two of them decided to make the cave their home. No one knows how long the cave has been in existence for.

Tomorrow I leave for Mandalay!! Also, crossing my fingers that there will be no any freaky insects or reptiles hanging out in my room!!

Until then...talk to you when I talk to you next.

All my love-

Anna Shenikki

Comments

1

Nice glad you are enjoying your vacation...it all sounds interesting wish I was there with you...can't wait for pictures!!!! Be safe and enjoy every minute sistafriend!!! take care

  Bubu Jun 14, 2012 9:19 PM

2

ANNA-I miss you and wish I could have traveled with you...

  Jay Jun 15, 2012 5:19 AM

3

It must feel at times like you stepped into a time machine and warped back a couple hundred years. Imagine farming using water Buffalo for farming and making dyes from plants.

I wish i met the long neck tribe woman.. They could teach me how to have a long neck so i can gain a few inches in height... lol

  D.O.G.G. Jun 17, 2012 8:08 PM

About annakkham


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.