Existing Member?

Lost in paradise.

A Thai Fishermen's Village

THAILAND | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [245] | Scholarship Entry

It was a small house, really, just an ordinary family house in the middle of a fishermen’s village...

The sun was hot and blazing in Krabi when we blasted off with a rented motorbike. The aim is to ride from Khongka Road to Khlong Tom to a place suggested to us, named the Emerald pool.

Barely being able to rely on the road signs that are in Thai writing and map that was torn into half due to the blasting wind; we followed our instincts and remained steadfast on the road.

A sharp turn to the left at a small junction near Khlong Tom district was made. It seemed right; it feels right, at least at that very moment. The road had become what can be described as a narrow pathway full of unsuspecting gravels and holes. There was no sign of people, just palm trees and wild bushes alongside the road until it came to a dramatic end. We stared in awe.

There ahead stood what seemed like a wharf and few men were managing their catch of the day, transferring them into a truck. It is a fishermen’s community!

The blue sky that mirrors the water, the boats perfectly floats next to each other on the crystal clear water as if it was arranged; the sound of kids’ laughter and the smell of freshly caught fishes fill the atmosphere. It was bountiful, serene, beyond what we bargained for. I heard a voice summoning in a language I did not understand. The next thing we knew we were in one of the houses, which accommodates the massive amount of people; probably two families under one roof.

Tea was served, on the hardwood plank floor where the old man and faces akin to him sat around us. The whole house typically resembles a hut, only slightly larger. There was no furniture, or even a television set. The kitchen is nakedly standing opposite to the entrance, where it shows a view of several women working together to prepare the meal. The faces surrounding us were as if they are wondering how and what bring us there. Sadly, language barrier had made smile as the only language comprehensible. The rest of the hours were spent just by admiring how lovely the atmosphere, the built of the house and the amazing welcoming people.

We left shortly after, as it seemed like not a very good idea to cruise in dark looking for a way back to our guesthouse. The inability to describe the exact location of the place remains, despite countless time tracing the map for signs of the paradise. Most probably it is meant to be. A paradise it shall remain, hidden from the pace of modernity.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About annafauzi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.