Existing Member?

Tales from Gap Yah for Grown Ups

Basking in Barcelona

SPAIN | Friday, 31 August 2012 | Views [708]

An evening with Antoni Gaudi

An evening with Antoni Gaudi

Monday

We can’t say we weren’t warned: Barcelona in August is like sticking your head in the oven and finding you can’t escape when you’re cooked! The temperature didn’t drop below 30 degrees all week, even in the wee hours. Thank God for our beautiful, air-conditioned Caller Aribau apartment.

Driving into Barcelona was slightly complicated (none of the signage seemed to offer Centre Ville!) but there was (paid) parking next door to our apartment and we gladly abandoned our little Polo there for the rest of the week.  A washing machine and free Wi Fi completed our domestic bliss…

Lynne Cossar, Dave Burgess and their lovely boys, Max and Darcy, are living a few blocks away in the Eixample district, so we met up and sauntered out to the Bar El Velodromo, a stylish yet inexpensive Art Deco café which apparently has been the scene of many a Catalan political intrigue over the decades. Delicious cannelloni, vino and a great catch up on what it’s like to live in Barcelona.

Tuesday

Andrew and I spent the day discovering the old city with its narrow winding streets, old churches and elegant townhouses, the latter tucked discreetly away behind courtyards. Prosperous Catalans don’t like to flash their wealth about, especially in this economic environment, so it’s hard to differentiate the affluent from the struggling merely by the exterior of their apartment buildings. 

The old city is great wandering territory and easy to get cheerfully lost in. Andrew visited the city museum in search of Roman ruins while I searched in vain for shopping. A lot of the little boutiques were closed and boarded up but it was hard to tell if they were shut for the August holidays or out of business. We also ventured down the famous Las Ramblas boulevard, but it was a tourist-filled nightmare, so we retreated into the nearby market for 1 euro cups of cold watermelon and some shade.

Dinner chez Burgess and Lynne managed a touch of home with a tasty Bill Granger chicken curry. Max and Darcy have both grown a couple of inches, are speaking Spanish like the natives and are playing lots of football as talented young recruits for FC Barcelona. More on football shortly…

The owners of their huge (150 sq m), rented apartment have left all their belongings in situ so it’s like stepping into someone else’s Barcelonan life. The Virgin Mary at the front door and the formal reception salon are particularly nice touches. We were less enamoured of their tiny lift, which got stuck with me, Andrew and Dave in it while Lynne woke a neighbour for a key (at some time close to midnight) to get us out!   

Wednesday

We had booked tickets online for the extraordinary Gaudi La Sagrada Familia cathedral and felt very smug when we jumped to the front of a 1-2 hour queue in the blistering midday heat. The cathedral is a 100-year work in progress for which Gaudi left detailed designs after his untimely death in the 1920s under a tram. Like it or love it, you cannot help but feel awed by the amazing sculptures, stained glass windows and modernist interpretation of a gothic cathedral. 

We then had another welcome swim in the Med though it would be fair to say that most of the city had the same idea and we were packed in like sardines.The Barcelonetta waterfront area was reclaimed, extended and redeveloped for the 1992 Olympic Games. Barcelona used to face inwards (with a fortress mentality) and ugly railroads and factories lined the seaside. Now there are beautiful beaches with real sand, palm trees and a giant copper fish sculpture overlooking the water (more attractive than it sounds…)

Later we went with Lynne and Dave for an evening of enchanting architecture (Gaudi’s Batilo building), music (a soulful girl on Spanish guitar), drinks (the usual), the sound of crashing glass (as Andrew broke not one, but two, items during particularly quiet moments in the performance) and barely suppressed laughter (see last item).

Thursday

Having taken fright at the 1-2 hour queues for the Picasso Museum a couple of days before, we booked online and sauntered straight in this morning. The museum is in a lovely old townhouse and mainly features Picasso’s very early works including the “Science and Charity” masterpiece for which he won a prize at the tender age of 15! The museum proved beyond any doubt that he was a painter of massive talent , by any conventional measure, before he struck out in his own style. 

Robert Hughes declared the nearby Santa Maria del Mare gothic cathedral the finest church of its type in Spain so we popped in to find an organist practising and light pouring in through the stained glass windows. They were offering tours of “the terraces” for a modest 5 euros and we joined a small group of Catalans (as the only English speakers) for an amazing wander around the rooftops with spectacular Barcelona views in every direction.

Lunch down at the Barcelonetta at Jai Ca – another Lynne recommendation from the Movida foodies’ guide to Barca – which looked like nothing much but was amazing food, friendly and pretty cheap. We chose three simple seafood plates which came laden with fresh prawns, razor clams and barbecued squid.

We had booked in the evening to go with the Burgess clan to one of the great Spanish football matches of the year: local FC Barcelona (Barca) vs arch rivals Real Madrid at the Camp Nou headquarters of Barca on the north-west edge of the city. Picture 95,000 Carlton and Collingwood supporters watching the AFL grand final and you can start to imagine the scene. Throw in a sweltering night, some questionable personal hygiene, zero crowd control and no metros after the match finished after midnight and you’re getting closer. Oh and Messi (the Barca messiah) was emblazoned on the Barca shirt of just about every supporter. 

No goals were scored in the first half then two in 30-second succession early in the 2nd half, one by either team. This chain of events had two delirious Barca fans beside us going absolutely bananas with lots of “puta” this and “puta” that  aimed at Real Madrid and its hero Ronaldo. (haven’t checked the precise meaning in the dictionary yet but it doesn’t leave much to the imagination). We had a quiet giggle with a nice boy from the Gold Coast who had bought a single ticket and found himself next to us.  Luckily the night ended with a Barca victory so the crowds making the 5 km walk back to town at 2am were cheerful.

Friday

A late start then Lynne and I spent the day doing some serious bonding over coffee. Lunch was at the Four Cats, a French style bistro that was frequented by Picasso and other painters of the Catalan avant garde at the turn of the 19th century. When he couldn’t pay for dinner Picasso used to draw the restauranteur a picture and many are still hanging on the walls.

Needless, to say we also shopped. Lynne knows lots of great little boutiques and I did succumb to a fabulous Desiguale skirt and a beautiful beaded summer dress that has a distinctive Spanish look (but was probably made in China!).  It was really special to share these past few days with her. The autoroute and a 5.30am start to drive back to France await in the morning.

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.