Existing Member?

Tales from Gap Yah for Grown Ups

Meillonnas not Mayonnaise

FRANCE | Friday, 17 August 2012 | Views [752]

Andrew, Elaine & Colin in search of lunch

Andrew, Elaine & Colin in search of lunch

Day One 

After a long day in the car from Erlangen it was delightful to slip into Jura time and wander the village this morning. In the afternoon we did the same in neighbouring Treffort. These delightful little towns struggle to keep the primary school open, spend all their money on the wrong things (each and every one of them has a huge hall, used once or twice a year for mayoral events!) and absent owners renovate the old houses but visit infrequently from Paris. That said, Elaine and Colin have carved themselves a lovely existence and are making the most of all that French rural life has to offer. 

We had a hilarious evening with Wiebke and Michel, friends of Elaine’s & Colin’s, who had kindly invited us to gatecrash their dinner invitation to E & C. Wiebke is a professional chef, mad keen traveller and multi-linguist so we were well fed, wined and entertained variously in French, German and English. I also rediscovered the humour in Andrew’s same old same old jokes told in another language complete with French pantomime gestures. 

Day Two

Andrew is still claiming jetlag and woke at 10am this morning. After a lazy breakfast we all went into the nearby metropolis (read: small provincial town) of Bourg en Bresse to view the sites while we waited for lunchtime. B-en-B has a smattering of 13th century half-timbered houses, a lovely 19th century theatre, fine Gothic church and lots of picture postcard crooked lanes and geranium filled streets. Lunch outside and my first taste of foie gras in a delicious salad.

On the way home we stopped to look at the 16h century royal monastery and church at Brou, which were built in a style called flamboyant gothic! The church has a striking tiled roof in the style of the architecture of Beaune.

In the evening we settled down to a fix of Jeux Olympics on the TV, which Colin has just had connected to the BBC – our timing was perfect for a change! The Beeb doesn’t get quite so one-eyed as Australian, French or US TV commentators and the Poms have more to boast about than usual. Colin cooked us his delicious signature dish of “poulet au facon Helliwell” - which has even featured on the menu of Wiebke’s restaurant .

Day Three

Elaine: We can’t say you didn’t warn us – France was one big parking lot today as we inched our way southwards along with every Parisian family, Belgian grey nomad and Dutch caravan for the grand “fuite” and annual holiday to the Mediterranean. So we left the autoroute near Valence and took a long but scenic drive on N and D roads through the Ardeche hills and down into the countryside north of Nimes.

Nimes (with accent circumflex on the i) was 35 degrees in the shade but with a big blue sky and the smell of the Med in the air. After a swim in the hotel pool, we wandered into the old town for dinner. It is a beautiful small city with more than its fair share of Roman antiquities. None of this crumbled down stuff though: there is a well-preserved and nicely restored 2 AD temple and amphitheatre right in the middle of town. A lovely stopover before we drive to Carcassonne and our canal boat holiday with Fiona and Robin. 

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.