Existing Member?

Travel Dosage

Southern Ethos

INDIA | Friday, 5 October 2012 | Views [195]

A house with massive courtyard, gigantic columns, attic and women working on crafts is now not a common sight. We probably would have spent our early years in such houses. However, Chennai has something to show that will make you nostalgic.

A spectacular display of culture of South Indian states within a compound makes Dakshina Chitra the most interesting heritage village. 21 km away from South of Chennai, it is located on the East coastal stretch. This place impresses you with the traditional architecture of Dakshin and is also a home for many artisans who reveal the realities behind their phenomenal work like pottery, puppetry making, painting, palm weaving and so on.

Deborah Thyagarjan, the founder of Dakshin Chitra, has made it possible for the current generation to experience the days our ancestors lived in.

Heavenly architecture like Chettinad house, Ilkal house and Calicut house are breath taking with its beautifully carved columns within. It’s not just the style but also the traditional activities that are present in the house. An outstanding exhibit is a wax statue of a lady reciting prayer before the tulsi plant in a Chettinad house.

It’s not only a traditional village but also an educational forum where you can get involved. Many schools have begun to organise field trips to this village in order to bring history alive. Apart from houses you have a few shops filled with handcrafted-accessories and souvenirs. In case you are a books person, you will be delighted to find a library in this calm surrounding, a perfect place to sink into a book!

About anita_ramesh


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.