Existing Member?

LucyEthel Takes a Trip “Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” Miriam Beard

Capetown, SA--Day 4

USA | Sunday, 14 March 2010 | Views [865] | Comments [3]

Today was the day to get out of the city and do the wine country tour.   The wine was not remarkable but the towns and vineyard grounds were totally beautiful.  Two towns were especially nice--Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.  The Dutch influence is pretty obvious by the names of these towns.  I guess I could call them charming little places.  They are on the order of Carmel and Monterey, although they are inland.  The Houtentot Mountains is the range running through this area.  We ate lunch at French Connection, where I had a smoked salmon and chive cream cheese sandwich along with fresh onion rings and a soft drink called Aqua Peach.  Again, the food was plentiful, delicious, and inexpensive.

We visited three wineries:  Haute Cabiere, De Lei Wen Jagt (The Lion Hunt) which has been purchased by a German and is now called Sidleberg, and Saxenberg.  They had beautiful gardens and lovely views.  The last one was having a festival and was pretty crowded.  It was nice to see so many families having fun and enjoying the perfect weather (although it was a little windy; like a normal day in Kansas).  In addition, we stopped by Drakenstein, the prison that held Mandela after he left Robben Island.  Although he was there only 6 weeks, there was a huge sculpture of him at the entrance.

We had a very interesting guide who told many stories about living in Capetown during apartheid.  I think she attempted to sugar-coat things a little, in terms of the way things are now.  She said everything is just perfect now and in just a couple more years, all the shanties will be empty and torn down.  All the people will have new state-built homes that aren’t great but much better than they had.   The shanties stretched for miles and were worse than anything I have ever seen in Mexico or any European country.  It makes our ‘slums’ look inviting.

In regard to the wild life, I mentioned yesterday that we were flashed by a baboon.  Today, I was ‘mooned’ by 3 white springboks.  I guess they’re just sick of the tourists.  We also saw eland, wildebeest, zebra, and brown springboks.

Tomorrow is a 5 a.m. wake up call and then off to the airport.  All the cyclist are biking around the area and I hear that it’s going to be a nightmare for the locals and the tours.  I have enjoyed my time in Capetown but I’m ready to get out of the city and see more,

Comments

1

Sounds like you are packing a lot in. I enjoy reading aboutyour travels while Jack & I lounge. Spring Break is officially on, so he & I will be lounging a lot more together....Yesterday, during nap time I had Jack, Bae Bae, Iddy Biddy and Kittiemae all with me. It was a good, but crowded nap! Say hello to your travel buddies for me!

  Valerie Mar 15, 2010 1:58 AM

2

The sun finally came out this afternoon, so 'ol Jackaroo & I went for a walk. He is now quite tuckered out. Poor thing. Hope you're still having fun. I decided no road trip for Jack this time as I am being very lazy this Spring Break.

  Valerie Mar 18, 2010 8:35 AM

3

Jack doesn't have a problem with being very lazy. It's his best talent.

  anita_81 Mar 20, 2010 6:32 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.