Existing Member?

anita

Please leave all bad perceptions of Colombia at the door.

COLOMBIA | Sunday, 30 September 2007 | Views [896]

As many will be surprised to know, no doubt my parents, this weekend my friend Lindsay and I went to Colombia. The reactions of our friends varied from "I totally want to go with!" to looks of sheer terror, while others claimed it may be the last time they'd be able to speak with us what with all the rumored boarder-kidnappings; worries I comforted with the fact that we'd be flying over the boarder and thus avoiding this supposed danger. De todas maneras, we arrived in Bogotá safe and sound Friday morning knowing little more than that we were going to be in Colombia until Monday morning.

Day 1 (Friday):

Friday, then, we ended up buying a tour to go to the Catedral de Sal (a cathedral in a salt mine) and Laguna de Guatavita (reputed site where gold is supposedly at the bottom of the lake...the whole El Dorado thing). This "tour" ended up being little more than an overpriced taxi ride to get to these places about 2 hours out of Bogotá. It was here, however, that we learned about "pico y placa".

Pico y placa is this strange traffic law in which the last number of your license plate dictates whether or not you can be on the road between 6:30-9:00am and 4:00-7:00pm on weekdays. The numbers rotate with the day of the week, so you have to be aware what day it is to avoid getting a fine. The idea is to reduce traffic during rush hour, though it only seems to lead to a frenzy of cars looking for parking at 4pm and backed up traffic at 9am...basically an inconvenience all around.

Despite our touristy travels on Friday, our true Colombian experience began at 6pm that night. We had just finished stuffing ourselves with our lunch/dinner, relieved to have survived our terrifying taxi ride back from Guatavita, when we decided to wander about Bogotá by night. The part in which we stayed is the old, colonial-style part (referred to simply as "downtown Bogotá" or La Candelaria) and the night-life consisted of roads being shut off to cars allowing street performers, vendors, and thousands of people to mill around the streets. After successfully escaping an insistent mime, we spotted a group of orange-clad people parading down the street, dancing and singing and handing out pamphlets, campaigning for a man running for some sort of council position (translation for "consejo," anybody?). Intrigued by the group's warmth and open-ness and apparent love for life, we joined them, dancing and chanting away.

It is here I will mention three suggestions from our study abroad program:
1) do not go to Colombia
2) do not get near political events/marches even if you are just on the outside taking photos (much less join them...)
3) do not accept alcohol from people you do not know well.

Well, having already overridden the first two rules, our new, delightfully-spirited friend Olga helped us right into breaking suggestion #3 and we continued dancing and singing away down the street, Lindsay continually drawn by the promise of getting the orange political t-shirt and me continually drawn by this building that kept changing colors that was far ahead of us (I have pictures!). An hour and a half later, we had made a bunch of friends, gotten a picture with the candidate, and had been "adopted" as the daughters of two of the women in the campaign.

Meet Martha and Irma: 2 sisters who married 2 brothers. Both mothers of two and full of energy, they claimed to be our mothers for the night, with good-natured threats of giving us spankings and keeping us in line. Lindsay and I would run off into the group then, laughing away until cries for us to come back forced us to wait until "moms" caught up. They both seemed quite intrigued with what we were studying, how we ended up here, and we were invited to have a real Colombian dinner at their house (the pasta and pizza we had eaten at a restaurant not impressing them in the least..."you have to try REAL Colombian food! You can't come to Colombia and just eat Italian food!!!")

[side note: Martha looks un-cannily similar to Lucia (Ecuadorian host-mom) and her name is Martha Lucia...weird.]

Anyway, we arrived at the political headquarters after marching the night away where we finally got our t-shirts and partied with the whole group. Email addresses were exchanged, photos were posed for and taken, dances were danced, and finally "moms" took us to their house (just two doors down..and they live right next to each other) to call a taxi as we had strayed quite far from our hostel. A perfectly exhausting evening.

Day 2 (Saturday):
Saturday, then, we decided some white-water rafting was in due course, and we headed off to Tobia. Having read Tobia was 46 miles from Bogotá, we were unhappily surprised to find out this meant 3 draining hours in a packed bus with increasingly warmer temperatures as we plunged into the lush valleys of Colombia. And these three hours didn't even get us to Tobia. We were booted out at the entrance of a gravel road as the bus continued on the paved highway, the driver claiming said gravel road led to Tobia. We were assured by the road-side vendor that "special cars" would come by to take us there, but after waiting an hour for these "special cars", we flagged down a guy with a van, and he kindly took us to Tobia. From the center of town, we were whisked away to the rafting site where we were paired with a random couple to go rafting. We had a good run, and the couple mentioned that they were from Bogotá and would be driving back that night. Music to our ears. With news of this quick and painless trip back, Lindsay and I gratefully took them up on their offer to drive us back to Bogotá. Again, our touristy adventure dulled in comparison with the amazing warmness of our Colombian acquaintances. Even the rafting renters were incredibly warm, but after our traumatic bus ride over, nothing was going to stop us from accepting a car ride back. Our drive back was filled with melodious singing (I was able to belt out the only song I knew on the CD, Julieta Venegas's "Me Voy") and we got back in a fraction of the time with none of the trauma. Another delightful end to our night :).

Day 3 (Sunday):
Sometime in our travels, Lindsay managed to catch some sort of illness and stayed in bed all day. Deciding I should still take full advantage of this beautiful Sunday, I wandered quite happily around downtown Bogotá, shopping at the artisan market, watching street magicians, watching THE cutest 15-year old boy play two pianos at once, peeking into churches and cathedrals, visiting museums (free on Sundays and thus huge lines) and, best of all, spending an hour and a half watching a capoeira group in the street.

[side observation: if Colombia has any say in upcoming hair fashion, mullets will be making a come back...]

Capoeira, for those unacquainted, is the martial art/dance believed to have its origins in the 16th century when slaves were brought from Angola to Brazil. Capoeira was practiced in free time as training for mind and body, though because martial art was prohibited, it was disguised as a dance. The end result is fantastic compilation of maneuvering and kicks and chops with much music and passionate singing accompanying the whole affair. The capoeira group was amazing, everybody having complete command of every muscle in their body, and I stood there in awe taking pictures and video recording. I'll have to let my pictures tell the rest of the story.

So was my time in Colombia. It's Sunday night here and downtown Bogotá is completely dead...so much so that in looking for a place to eat dinner I was only able to find McDonalds and two chicken/burger places amongst the hundreds of restaurants usually open on the popular Carrera 7. I ended up having what I can only describe as Colombian-style chicken fried rice.

But I'm glad I came to Colombia; to not only dispel untrue rumors to others, but to open my own mind to what Colombia is. It is interesting that because our program told us not to come, or because people have told us that Colombia was this outrageously dangerous country, we felt the need to come to see what all the hype was about. And I'm still looking for an answer as to why people label it such a horribly dangerous place. As all the Colombians I've talked to about this issue point out, every country has its bad areas, and as long as you keep your wits about you and don't go jumping into the midst of a dangerous area, you'll be fine. I'll keep that simple fact in mind from now on...

And random update on the volcano climbs from last weekend. Basically the day before I was to go to Pichincha, a group doing the same trip got into some troubles involving an accident, running a woman over (who unfortunately died) because of slippery roads, the townspeople forming a mob and barricading the remaining 4 jeeps full of students in the town and throwing rocks at the jeeps...huge fiasco. So no more Pichincha trips and my other two volcano trips were pretty chill. I'll have to send the photos of my muddy time there. But I have to get going...5:45am tomorrow morning I have to be up to catch the flight back to mi lindo Ecuador :).

buenas noches
[photos: http://wisc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2291485&l=8c870&id=8628451]
annemary

Tags: Adventures

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.