Existing Member?

anita

climbing on glass

GUATEMALA | Thursday, 31 May 2007 | Views [2615]

As has been anticipated for a year now, I finally climbed Pacaya, the still-active volcano that promises visitors a good hike and a close adventure with lava. Our climb up was eventful with kids on horses calling "taxi, taxi" for those who didn´t want to hike up, a couple of wild cows trampling down the path, and someone in our group actually falling head over heals on the hardend lava. If this doesn't seem terrifying enough, one has to understand that once hard, the lava rock is something like glass and the slightest scrape can cause brutal-looking injuries. Fully-bloodied the guy continued on and our guide, not seeming very concerned, forged onward toward the flowing lava.

and it was hot.

The entire climb up you could hear something bubbling underneath the surface and if you poked your walking stick through, you could usually get it to light on fire. When we finally climbed to about 10 feet from the lava, the heat became excruciating, searing winds of heat burning at our bare legs (as we only had capris on) and we had to remember to keep moving our feet so our shoes wouldn't melt completely. It was pretty awesome, though, seeing the lava rocks tumbling down and the two Irish guys in our group handed out marshmallows they had brought to roast. A good time was had by all and we left, many of us with bloodied legs from scraping them on volcanic rock, and we headed back home.

Yesterday, then, we went to Monterrico, Guatemala´s Pacific coast beach area. We went to a cute hostel area to eat (where Erin was served her fried fish--whole) and then headed toward the beach area where we realized what we thought was thunder was actually waves crashing down on the beach. We met a kindly Canadian and talked with her for a long time while trying to stay standing as the waves hit us with more force than they ever appeared they should. We finished our day trip and went back to our shuttle bus dude, who ended up dropping us off at a boat area, instructing us to take this boat down the river where we would meet his friend Walter who would be waiting for us in his red vehicle because they ran out of room in the shuttle. shifty. Luckily we were with two guys from Spain, so it wasn´t like we were alone and we indeed ended up on the other side, met with Walter, and the four of us climbed into his dilapitated, red, Honda from ´93. To give you an idea of the quality of this car, I´ll just say that as the Spanish guy crawled into the back, half the car came in with him (no qualms! it was pushed back out!) the hole in the trunk provided a clear view of the road, the speedometer and gas gauge were both at zero, and the steering wheel was upside down. When asked if he could close his window a bit when it was raining, Walter grabbed a wrench and used it to grab a peg of what used to be the roller-upper. Our ride was topped of by the "included shower" as Walter described it, namely a leaking sunroof that waterfalled everytime we slowed down or turned a corner. It was a hilariously enjoyable ride.

Our adventures continued as we took 4 more chicken buses and a tuk tuk to get back to Comalapa where we have changed our wardrobe a bit before heading back on our travels. I better go now as we´re headed to the ridiculously beautiful Lake Atitlan today where we will spend the next 3 or 4 days in bliss...:D

annemary
Volcan Pacaya; this is an Irish guy from our tour with the lava.  Seconds after he walked away the burning rocks behind him tumbled down.

Volcan Pacaya; this is an Irish guy from our tour with the lava. Seconds after he walked away the burning rocks behind him tumbled down.

Tags: Adventures

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.