Existing Member?

anita

ahh Comalapa

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 20 June 2006 | Views [827]

One comical story to start out...yesterday Amelia, Kat, and I were planting trees/talking and a bunch of indigenous peeps were coming to the park and we ended up talking to one woman in particular who was interested in what we were doing.  We tried explaining the concept of volunteer work, but she was having none of it, convinced we were getting paid by our respective governments.  She was so funny as she kept on saying "aahhh Ustedes" and shaking her head and smiling.  She got a kick out of the fact that I was half Guatemalan and she related this fact immediately to her friends in Kaqchiquel as soon as they rejoined her and they were equally incredulous...the lovely people of Comalapa...
Amelia and I also have become somewhat known for our participation in the parade!  Kat said that she was talking with a woman who used to teach at Chimiyá and Kat mentioned that there were some new volunteers and, sure enough, the woman picked us out as the two gringas from the parade.  Amelia and I have now gotten our adobe stove-making numbers up to about 2 1/2 stoves/grills.  It´s fun and we get up every morning expecting to be just filthy by the end of the day.
Sunday though we got to go to Kat´s house in town where she has electricity, running water, a shower, and tv!  We were all super excited for our little sleepover and were not in the least disappointed.  We went on the roof for a while to look over Comalapa (which has about 37,000 people), watched movies, and to top it off, on Monday morning, we all took advantage of a nice shower...nastily, it was the first one I´ve had since being here.  About 5 days ago we found these "bath wipes" when we were clearing out one of the rooms which were wipes to "give you a bath" which we found quite funny but we found to be a useful way to try and keep clean.  Anyhoots, shower=nice, warm shower=heavenly.  It´s funny how little you really NEED in order to survive.
Next Wednesday I´m going to head off with Amelia to the northern part of Guatemala.  She is trying to cover all of Central and South America before January 2007, so after we travel for about a week in Coban, Tikal, and around Peten, she´ll be going through Belize and Mexico to fly to Cuba for a week before heading back down through Central and South America.  Anyhoots, we´ll both be traveling through Guate then and after I come back to Chimiyá for a bit I´ll hopefully travel a bit more through Guate.  Today we had a lesson with the kids who are just wonderfully enthusiastic about anything we throw at them.  Never have I seen kids so excited shouting RED or TRIANGLE or BLU-AY (how they tend to pronounce "blue").  They are so fun and eager to learn it´s inspiring.
But we have to get going and catch a taxi-moto back with our 3 5-
gallon jugs of water and all the food we just bought.  Having no refridgerator means getting fresh food on all the market days: Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday.  The taxi-motos are ridiculously small scooters/cars that roar through the streets giving the rider the thrill ride of their life, complete with bumps, a little danger, and wind blowing in your face...oh they are so fun.  Ttyl!

annemary

ps: snake count: 6
nastily large spiders: 2
bug bites on hands: 37

Starting off our largest adobe stove :: Comalapa, Guatemala :: 21 june 2006

Starting off our largest adobe stove :: Comalapa, Guatemala :: 21 june 2006

Tags: Culture

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.