Existing Member?

The stuff I get up to

Yearning for Authenticity

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 24 April 2014 | Views [195] | Scholarship Entry

How did I end up here? I left home three years ago, I moved away, 7 hours away to be exact to a completely different town, new friends, new school, new me; but now I’m back, well sort of.

The past three years have kind of been a blur to me, not a blur as in I did a lot of drugs and hard partying to forget what happened but blur as in the last three years went by so fast that I’m now sitting here wondering how I went from being a sort of successful university student who lived off of noodles and cold pizza in my college room to a trendy university kid that moved into town and became a “local” to a first year journalism major currently living with my sister and father in a town two hours away from my hometown.

Yeah, I lost track of when it all fell apart but I’m pretty sure it’s getting better. I may have moved to three different towns in the last three years but I feel like it’s just made me realise that the world is a big place. In the last three years I’ve been able to experience the culture of three different towns, albeit they’re all country towns they all have different levels of culture.

For instance, my hometown Nyngan, population of 3500 and the only form of “exquisite cuisine” is a Chinese restaurant that is ironically run by a local aboriginal family. The food is surprisingly good but then again, it doesn’t compare to the real deal. My second home, Armidale was the first place where I tried Thai food, once again though it doesn’t compare to proper Thai food, well I can only imagine.

And lastly, the town I now call home, well more like my temporary home is Dubbo, not that far from Nyngan and quite similar with it’s limit on “exquisite cuisine”, there is a restaurant that serves up some pretty good Indian food, but once again, I can only imagine what the real deal tastes like.

One day I’ll get the chance to experience the real deal, I want to taste a traditional Chinese dumpling, to revel in the flavours spread through a traditional Pad Thai and to set my taste buds alight with the taste of an authentic butter chicken that hasn’t been poured out of a jar.

I’m not sure how I got here but I know it isn’t forever.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About anindieboyabroad


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.