Existing Member?

Where are we?

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

Little boy smiles at us. Father wants to capture the moment with his camera- and there we are: me, my friend and the boy, all smiling. Father grabs the boy and they leave. Till they disappear, the boy looks and smiles at us without teeth in his mouth.
I close my eyes, open them up. Where are we? Remember last night? I stopped counting the delicious beers we had, not to mention the spirits at the birthday of a local we met. I remember having French fries in the middle of night, which weren't French at all. "Belgian fries" corrected the guy, "What sauce would you like?"
I remember yesternight. No, that was the night before. I lost the track of time in here. Do you know the train turned into a time machine by Doc in Back to the Future? The train we got off must be that one since I remember asking when we were, along with the question where we were. I remember dropping our bags at the hotel and diving in the city with all its magic, and without a map or any hesitation. Still trying to explore the city, entering each and every street, I remember my clock ticking 10 pm and the city lights going down. That was the time we realized when we were: in the middle of a medieval night, with canals, cathedrals and buildings from fifteen-somethings surrounding us!
I remember going into each chocolate shop to have one, or two, or more pieces.
I remember being at the top of the castle looking at the bewitched view.
I remember having the news from a friend's phone call when having mussels at a tiny restaurant. "There was a volcanic eruption" he said, "all flights are canceled including yours".
Where are we? From the peace and dignity, I don't remember, but I know now. We are at Koningin Astrid Park. I look at my friend, she looks back at me smiling like the little boy. Nothing can bother us, not even Eyjafjallajökull's ruining our fifteen-day trip to Spain with all domestic flights and hotels booked. Because it means that we will stay more in this sorcerous city, in Bruges.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About anilisisag


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.