Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 6 - Geo-Thermal Mud and Tongariro National Park

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 3 November 2010 | Views [548] | Comments [5]

The Lady Knox Geyser at Wai-U-Tapu

The Lady Knox Geyser at Wai-U-Tapu

Today we drove south from Rotorua to the Tongariro National Park.

 

On the way, we stopped at an area of intense geo-thermal activity called the Wai-O-Tapu Geothermal Preserve, an amazing landscape of pools, streams, and bubbling mud, all reeking of sulfur.  There were a couple of sinkholes, hissing and burbling below, lazy, stinking steam rising out of them—it’s easy to imagine where prehistoric man got some early ideas of the sights, smells, and sounds of the underworld.  One of the highlights was the daily eruption of a geyser, about 45 feet into the air.

 

We drove on to our hotel for the next two nights, at the entrance to Tongariro National Park.  This area is a major outdoor activity playground, lots of skiing and alpine hiking.  There are three mountains that make up the majority of the park.  One of them, Mount Ngauruhoe, was used by Peter Jackson as Mount Doom.  We didn’t get any good pictures today, but will try for a better angle tomorrow, as we plan to hike for several miles around the area.

 

Comments

1

How are your pronunciations of local landmarks?

  Bethanie Nov 4, 2010 2:36 AM

2

Tommorow we are going to the Whakapapa Ski Fields, YAY.

  Jasmine Aug 27, 2012 9:31 AM

3

We r the best cause tomorrow we r going sking :p

  Josephine Aug 27, 2012 9:32 AM

4

EEK! Hi Jo-Jo! (:

  Jasmine Aug 27, 2012 9:35 AM

5

SOZ

  HI JASMINE Aug 27, 2012 9:38 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.