Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 4 - Hahei to Whakatane

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 1 November 2010 | Views [1077] | Comments [4]

Feeding a domesticated kiwi bird.  They are actually quite gentle.

Feeding a domesticated kiwi bird. They are actually quite gentle.

We woke this morning with a fabulous view of the islands off of the coast of Hahei and the sun streaming in our window.  Breakfast was scrambled and bacon with toast, quite delicious, cooked in the microwave!  Amazing.  We left around 8:45 and headed south to our destination of Whakatane.  Along the way we stopped to see the views and a few of the sites.  Our first stop was to view the last gold mine left in Waihi that has been in operation for almost 200 years.  It is an open pit that is still being worked! 

After viewing the pit we stopped in the little town for a cup of coffee and ogled the tasty looking pastries but refrained from buying them…the waist line can’t take too much more!  We then filled up with gas (tough to find a gas station over here).  Our next destination was in the popular spot of Mount Maunganui - it is a surfing beach with a mount off to one side surrounded by ocean.  A very desirable town, nicely laid out and bustling with activity.  It is wonderful to see how clean all of the towns are, no trash anywhere to be seen, no dog poo on the streets and all the houses and businesses well kept.  Yet, at the same time, things are very simple in their architecture, clean and neat.  The beaches are just gorgeous…white or black sand and the water is clear.  Anyway…we took a two mile + hike around the mount and then sat and had a banana for lunch (this is my coffee and fruit diet I told you I’d be on because the food has proven inedible). 

We got back on the road and continued south for a short bit until we hit Te Puke which is the Kiwi fruit growing capitol.  We stopped at a very touristy location to take a look at how they grow these furry fruit.  Paid $20, each, to take a tour of the plantation and to learn all the ins and outs of growing this fruit.  It was very interesting and our tour guide was very knowledgeable about it.  Did you know that no one knows how long a Kiwi vine will produce fruit.  So far some of their vines are over 80 years old and still producing!!  Who knew??  After the tour we got to taste kiwi wine, liquor, gold kiwis, and other assorted things made out of kiwi. 

Our destination for the evening is Whakatane, where tomorrow we will take a boat out to see the volcanic White Island – weather depending.  We are staying in a villa, on the shore, that is a renovated Kauri villa…very cool and right on the beach.  Tonight we are once again going to try and have dinner at a restaurant.  Our thinking is that we’ll try something different and eat in an upscale place…maybe the food will be better?!  If not, then we’ve spent a bunch of money for nothing but at least we’ll know and perhaps just admit defeat and eat sandwiches.

Till later!

 

Comments

1

You didn't say anything about the macadamia plantation and the inside info you must have stumbled upon

  Bradley Wood Nov 1, 2010 11:24 PM

2

The plantation was closed even though the sign said "open"....go figure! It was early evening on Sunday so I suppose the was allowed :) We wandered in just a bit and most of the front was planted with orange trees...just beautiful!

  Anita Nov 2, 2010 5:24 AM

3

Nice pic with the kiwi bird. Where are you - Jurassic Park?

  Bernie Nov 2, 2010 11:30 AM

4

That's some chicken!!

  vicki Nov 4, 2010 9:46 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.