Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Vienna

AUSTRIA | Saturday, 30 May 2009 | Views [654] | Comments [2]

Hofburg Palace, Vienna

Hofburg Palace, Vienna

Left the Salzkamergut, driving through alpine river gorges...up over the top at Simmering Pass and down into the Danube plain...Vienna, Vinnie at the wheel, into the heart into the RingStrasse...stunning Old World architure everywhere...bus tour to get the feel of the city...Opera House tour, front and back stage...getting lost on the way to the Prater amusement park...a ride on the 110 year old Riesenbad, a "huge" ferris wheel with carriages the size of box cars (kudos to a very brave Anita!)...fine coffee and pastry every couple of hours...the Hofburg, residence and seat of imperial power of the 600 year old Habsburg dynasty...the Vienna Boys Choir (exquisite soprano) followed by some Haydn and Shubert from the Vienna Philharmonic...more coffee and tortes!  The Lipizzaner Stallions of the Spanish Riding School, starting with the young stallions-in-training and finishing with the 8 horse Quadrille, a "ballet" to the music of Mozart and Strauss...one more day and then off to Graz in the south of Austria. 

 

Comments

1

Rain, rain and more rain....

  anijensen May 30, 2009 5:25 PM

2

How much history, music, architecture and scrumptious pastries can one consume without overload?....hopefully mucho. Sounds wonderful and thanks for keeping us envious home sitters apprised. Very fun.

  Stephen the Elder May 31, 2009 12:26 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.