Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Quiz 9

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 15 January 2015 | Views [676] | Comments [17]

Quiz 9

Quiz 9

What's going on here?

Comments

1

i know but i'll never tell.......

  nana the mute Jan 17, 2015 4:12 PM

2

A dead bat covered by lime?

  Beth Jan 18, 2015 12:37 AM

3

I like best answer but in case that's wrong, my guess is that it's a slow buildup of guano.

  Melanie Jan 18, 2015 10:58 PM

4

After doing some googling, I would actually like to change my answer! What you see is actually a bat cocoon. That encases itself in limestone sludge and will emerge several weeks later as a full fledged vampire. This is where the term "vampire bat" actually originated. Little-known fact.

  Melanie Jan 19, 2015 12:30 AM

5

OMG!!! How did you guess it? How do you make the "ehhhhh" noise that means NOT? Funny though!!! Love the guesses and it makes Vinnie proud that he read a sign and now knows something the rest of you do not... LOL!

  Mum the fabulous Jan 19, 2015 1:40 AM

6

Wildebeest jerky. The meat appears to be pretty much finished drying at this point. Let us know how it tastes.

  Dr. Jonathan Jan 19, 2015 3:03 AM

7

Contrary to popular belief, Southeast Asia is actually an incredibly cold climate. What you see here is an icicle. Why is it colored gray, you might ask? That's because the extreme density of the population in Singapore results in a dense smog at all times. The smog particles have actually become entrapped in the icicle, thereby causing the dark coloration.

  Nurse Melanie Jan 19, 2015 3:05 AM

8

Yawn...here ya go...yawn...
"Speleothems' are a type of cave formation caused by water percolating downward through limestone. During its passage, the water absorbs chemicals from the surrounding rock and, when the water finally breaks through into the air of an underground cavern, these dissolved chemicals separate from the water and harden, gradually forming longer and longer columns over the years.

Yawn (again)....

  Mel the Boring Jan 19, 2015 3:14 AM

9

ha ha ha!!! WRONGGGGGG!!!

  nana the knowing Jan 19, 2015 3:39 AM

10

There is iron in the formation that is making it curve north. Still boring.

  Melanie Jan 19, 2015 4:09 AM

11

**edit to last answer:
The formation is curving to the east which is the direction that the bats exit the cave every evening as the sun sets. Hundreds of bats leaving at the same time and bumped many times against that formation slowly causing it to shift. The correct name of the formation is a "batalactite". True fact.

  Melanie Jan 19, 2015 4:58 AM

12

sorry, but nooooooooooo!

  nana Jan 19, 2015 6:54 AM

13

Maybe it's a spider cocoon...?

  Batty Beth Jan 19, 2015 9:10 AM

14

That would be some spider! Ah, NO!

  nana the not talkin' Jan 19, 2015 11:40 AM

15

Ok, Vicki. What is it?

  Beth Jan 20, 2015 12:37 AM

16

Mel, I like the batalactite, but, well..........OK, Beth - just for you. It's an algal stalactite. Light, algae, water and minerals......the algae begins to grow on the damp surface (in the light - that's why at the mouth of the cave). As it reaches for the light it slowly pulls the developing stalactite toward the light.

  nana the bean spiller Jan 20, 2015 5:30 AM

17

Hmmmmm...that's a pretty boring answer. I think I like Beth's original answer of a petrified bat better. Bethanie is the winner!!! Woohoo!!

  Melanie Jan 20, 2015 6:58 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.