Existing Member?

Create the Situation You Want

My Down Under Internship

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [229] | Scholarship Entry

With much excitement in July 2013, I touched down in Brisbane, Queensland to explore Australia's scenic beauty, meet new people and gain international experience for university credit. With all the fun I had working and travelling, time flew by way too quickly!

I interned for a small, start-up cosmetics company called Organic Island as a Digital Media Marketing intern. I had the honour to work with a managing director and supervisor who were both extremely intelligent, passionate and ambitious with the company's vision and goals. By witnessing their determination and focus to thoroughly execute and complete projects, I was inspired to dream even bigger. My entrepreneurial spirit was certainly activated. Our small office created a warm, welcoming environment. I was able to approach anyone for help, support and guidance without hesitation. Although I was the only intern at the office, my ideas were always considered and I was treated as a valuable member of the team. This made me feel comfortable to express my opinions, pitch ideas and step outside of my comfort zone. Normally, I am a shy, reserved individual, but this experience taught me to be more confident and proactive.

Co-op abroad was the best decision I’ve ever made because I was able to fulfill my co-op credits while exploring a gorgeous country and gaining career skills. Be adventurous while you’re in a new country because you’re young and working hard, so be bold and daring – overcome the things that scare you. I’m definitely afraid of heights but skydiving was a liberating feeling to accomplish.

I headed back home to Canada in December 2013 with a heavy heart as I was leaving behind a beautiful place with amazing people, whom I will forever hold close to my heart.

“Twenty years from now you’ll be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did.” So just go for it while you’re young!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About angelliecastrojas


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.