Existing Member?

ange in africa...again one aussie girl, 6 weeks, back to the continent that captured my heart

The Homecoming Queen

KENYA | Friday, 23 July 2010 | Views [492]

Well I can't quite remember where I left off last but I've been in Kenya for the last 8 days and it has indeed been a homecoming in many ways. The first few days were spent in Nakuru, visting the lake I'd already been to but Mich hadn't. There's definitely less flamingos than last time I was there but not sure if thats a seasonal thing. Aparently Kenya has been gripped by a sever drought until recently and the animals in the national parks have been literally dropping dead from lack of water.

From there we briefly returned to Nairobi before boarding the train to Mombasa. Again I've caught this train before but Mich hadn't but it was very much the same as my last experiences. Long, jerky and very delayed. We were scheduled to leave Nairobi at 7pm. We didn't pull out of the station until 3:30am, I shit you not. Apparently there was a derailment up ahead but when you're on a very tight schedule that doesn't matter and its a complete pain in the arse. Should've just paid the extra 1000KSH and flown. Mombasa is much the same as I left it, there's a few new shops but otherwise the same and I loved that. That really felt like coming home. We were welcomed with open arms by Patrick and Emily, my homestay family from last time. They have a new addition, 14 month old Natasha, who was very weary at first, having never seen mzungus before. She warmed up pretty quickly though and I swear she made me so clucky I could've put her in my bag and brought her home with me! So after a few days in the old stomping ground and a very tearful farewell later, we headed back to Nairobi (on a plane this time thank god!!) to be greeted by the rest of the family. Words really can't describe what its like to be reunited with people who have completely and unconditionally accepted you into their family. Kenyan hospitality has no end. I'm their adopted fair skinned daughter, seriously thats what its like. Its truly amazing and I'm counting my blessings at having two wonderful families. Didn't really do much in Nairboi bar hang out at home and head into town for shopping. I really love Nairobi hey and I don't get why it has such a bad reputation. The place is alive and vibrant, with a beating heart you can hear on every street corner. I love it.

So now I find myself sitting in the airport after yet another tearful farewell, thinking of ways I can return to this awesome country. Honestly if I wasn't due back at work on Monday I would've postponed my flight for as long as possible. I will return, I will be back, this continent has my heart and soul. Australia will always be home but Kenya and Africa will continue to pull me back like the tide to the shore. Love, happiness xo

 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.