Existing Member?

ange in africa...again one aussie girl, 6 weeks, back to the continent that captured my heart

There's nothing as sad, lonely or drear than to be in the World Cup Stadium with no beer!

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 16 June 2010 | Views [639] | Comments [3]

Well I finally made it, in one peice, and game one down. The journey was about as good as any 27 hour journey can be be.. long, uncomfortable and sleep deprived. Then when we got to Durban, the shock of all horrors hits, what the... South Africa actually has a customs service now??? And they want to look in my bag??? It was all a bit surreal cos last time I just got my passport stamped and waltzed on in. My how things have changed.

So game one was Sunday night and what a travesty it was, for a multitude of reasons. 1. I realised how very little I know about soccer. Trying to follow what was happening was impossible and I realised that some die hard soccer fan had missed out on a seat because my ignorant arse just had to go the the World Cup. 2. But what I lack in knowledge I certainly make up for in enthusiasm. However the fact that we lost 4-0 was a bit of a sore point. Like seriously how embarassing. South African people seem to take so much joy in watching Aussies suffer too. 3. What I'm about to say will be shocking and devastating but hence the title of this post, the stadium ran out of beer at half time!!! I am not even shitting people. So needless to say I spent most of the second half with a bunch of other drunk Aussies running from bar to bar trying to find beer. Not happy Jan. And when I did finally find beer it was hot, then I got lost on the way back to my seat and then when I got back I found that Germany had scored twice more. All of this made for one drunk and unhappy Ange.

But I do have to say, all this aside, the vibe in Saffa at the moment is electric and I am loving it. Just arrived in Cape Town today which is awesome but bullshit cold. Seriously I never thought I'd utter these words but today I saw snow capped mountains in South Africa. Someone said it got down to -5C last night. I am literally walking around huddled like Mr Burns, teeth chattering trying not to freeze. But all good, going wine touring tomorrow so no doubt that will breathe warmth into my cold bones. Take care peeps xo

Comments

1

poor little ange

  tara Jun 16, 2010 2:27 PM

2

oh poor poor ange still hahahaha thats funny in a way!!!! but sad in another!!!!

lol

:)
:(
;)

  kyla masters Jun 18, 2010 4:21 PM

3

Hey Ange

You are a crack-up......love it. hope the next game's a winner for Australia. And no I didn't dial the wrong number when I tried to ring u. Can't believe you didn't swim with the great whites..next time hey??

  chris Jun 18, 2010 6:15 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.