Existing Member?

Zaragoza, baths and laugh

Antique Roman ruins in Zaragoza

SPAIN | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [284] | Scholarship Entry

For a long time I wanted to go to Zaragoza and finally, that day came. I went there in summer and I was told that I was going to die boiled and that in Zaragoza there wasn´t anything which be worth visiting. Of course, I didn’t pay attention to those all complaints about the city.
The first day I was there I went to the tourist office and I discovered that in Zaragoza there are some fantastic antique Roman ruins, so I hired a guided tour between these places. This was a fantastic surprise for me because, apart from the famous El Pilar Cathedral, I didn’t know anything about the city.

The day of the tour we met the tourist guide, she was a nice young woman, very funny indeed. During the tour she explained us everything about the ancient Roman society, the way of living, the trade... we visited places suche as the Forum, the theatre or the Roman Baths. Because of the hot, people were coming and leaving but everybody knew the other people in the tour. While we were in the Roman Baths, two old women joined us. They were laughing at the tourist guide explanations about how antique Romans used the toilet. I should say that it was funny and disgusting, but the best thing was watching those old women asking nonsense questions about how they wiped their bums. When we ended these visit we continued the tour to a new place. In the way to that place, the two old woman followed us. Suddenly, the guide stopped and told the women that it was a guided tour and all of us had paid for the visit and her explanations. The women didn’t understand, or maybe they didn’t want to understand, and they pretended that they wanted to pay the ticket and join us until the rest of the tour. At first the guide was really polite, but after telled the women more than three times that they couldn’t be with us she went pretty rude and then, the women understood completely what the gide was telling them. They were totally offended, but what could she do? The rest of us had paid for the tour. At the end, we finished the tour without the two old funny women. The girl was quite upset and embarrassed but she finished the tour with a smile in her face trying to forget the extrange situation we had had.

Since that day, when I’m traveling, I try not to follow and lister other guided tours where I’m not in, because I don’t want to become an old woman who ask stupid questions about a rag rolled up in a stick which were used for wiping bums.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About angelaspain


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.