Existing Member?

TheBigFieldTrip

Saved by the Koran

TUNISIA | Tuesday, 19 May 2015 | Views [215] | Scholarship Entry

Saved by the Koran

“Americans travelers, you see, are very rare in Tunisia—especially those with children—and they must be treated with particular protocols,” Youssef explained as he brought his car to a stop at the road block. “The reason for this is, if any tourists are at risk here, it would most certainly be you. And also the Israelis.”

Youssef rolled down his window and greeted the officer with a show of deference. Meanwhile, my husband, Jason, fished our five passports out of his bag and passed them to the officer. A debate followed between Youssef and the officer during which Jason, the kids, and I sat back quietly. Eventually Youssef got out of the car and threw open the trunk. With the officer at his side, he began to rummage through our luggage. I closed my eyes and prayed to God that I hadn’t left that bottle of wine in plain sight. And then also to Allah, just to cover my bases.

A few moments later, Youssef closed the trunk and jumped back into the driver’s seat, grinning. The officer returned his hat to his head, and waved us along.

“What in the world just happened?” Jason asked Youssef as we sped down the road.

“Ah, yes. Well, when the officer found out you are Americans, he became very angry. I asked him what the problem was, and he said ‘I do not like Americans; Americans hate Muslims.’”

Youssef went on to explain how during the lengthy discussion he had reprimanded the officer, with all due respect, for relying on stereotypes without having ever met any real Americans. He had gone on to defend us valiantly, telling the officer we were actually very good people. Despite being Americans.

“Then I said to the officer, ‘they even respect Islam,’” Youssef went on, “‘and they're trying to learn about Islamic culture.’ The officer wasn’t believing me, though. So, finally I said, ‘Listen, Sir, even they are studying the Koran!’”

This had grabbed the officer’s attention, and that’s when Youssef had come up with the brilliant idea that had inspired him to jump out of the car and hunt through the trunk.

“‘Ah, you see?’ I said to the officer. ‘Here it is—their English copy of the Koran. You see all the notes in the margins?’”

Apparently this had been enough to prove that not only were we not Muslim-haters, we were potential converts. As we zipped down the road again, en route to the holy city of Kairouan, I sent up another prayer to God, and to Allah, to thank them both for the inspiration to pack that copy of the Koran.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About angelasmirkman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tunisia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.