Existing Member?

AngelasAmazingAdventures You can take the girl out of Nottingham but... oh off she goes!

God its hot here!

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 3 May 2008 | Views [519]

Which was my first thought when I walked out of Bangkok airport after 9 hours on the plane from Melbourne. Really really hot and humid!

A nice lady in an airconditioned taxi took me to Tavees Guesthouse, where I was staying on recommendation. It was a nice place, quiet, with a restaurant at the front, a massage shop next door and a few food stalls outside. I didn't realise how quiet it was until I found Ko San Road the following day - famous backpacker destination and now my idea of hell on earth! Its one road absolutely swarming with tourists, lined with shops selling tacky gadgets and clothes, interspersed with loud bars advertising football games and cheap beer. Interesting to walk along... but soon I'd had enough and had to get out of there!

Over 2 days in Bangkok, I took in some of the bigger temples with their huge ornately decorated towers and shining golden Buddhas, and had a tour around the Grand Palace which was unbelievably grand and stunning. I did a lot of walking, enough to give myself blisters in my well-worn flip flops meaning I had to buy another pair of shoes... actually I bought two cos its so cheap here.

There are many more places I want to see in Bangkok, but I am saving these for when Jayne and I are exploring together.

I'm now in a big city in the north called Chiang Mai, probably the second biggest city after Bangkok. I got here by train and bus, via short stopovers in Ayuthaya and Sukhothai, both nice little towns with lots of great temple ruins to visit and lots of wicked food - I'm in my element!

Tomorrow I am going on a 3 day jungle trek in one of the national parks, which includes riding an elephant on the last day! Pretty exciting stuff.. will report more later!

PS. I would like to take this opportunity to say hello to Nanna - I know Dad has been having these blogs printed out and sent to her, so Nanna this is for you! Hello, hope you are ok, and love you lots. Sending you a big kiss from Thailand! My trip is nearly over, I can't believe how fast 6 months has gone but it has been amazing. Lots of love, Angela xx

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.