Existing Member?

AngelasAmazingAdventures You can take the girl out of Nottingham but... oh off she goes!

3 days in...

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 10 November 2007 | Views [396] | Comments [1]

Just a quick update with the story so far. I arrived safely at the hostel after an uneventful and sleepy flight. The hostel is very chilled and laid-back, and I spent my first day walking around boiling to death in jeans and my walking shoes desperately trying to find a pair of flip-flops (or havaianas). Later that afternoon I got a bus to Copocabana beach which was a bit daunting as I had no idea where the bus was going or where to get off. I guessed and found the beach, and hadn't realised it would be such lovely white soft sand, nice! 

I met a couple of Aussies in the hostel that night and they invited me along to a reggae club nearby, so we went there at about midnight, had a few beers and danced a bit (ok a lot).

Yesterday I walked to Sugar Loaf mountain on my own which was great. A nice relaxing stroll, drank some fresh coconut juice on the beach, saw an iguana and a monkey. Then I got the cable car up to the top of the mountain, only to find my camera had run out of battery...

Today I joined a tour through the hostel which took us hiking in the National Forest which was hard work in this heat and humidity but really rewarding when we got to the top. Will upload pics when I can. Then we drove to Corcovado mountain where the Christ the Redeemer statue is, stunning views across Rio again. Then we had traditional Brazilian lunch in Santa Theresa, which is a quaint colonial town which looks like it hasn't changed for hundreds of years. Then a small group of us decided to head back to Sugar Loaf, this time we hiked up it and got the cable car down. So a pretty exhausting day all in all, I'm just planning on relaxing in the hostel tonight with a couple of cocktails.

Watch this space for the next few days adventures. I have an idea of something I'd like to do, but I might bottle it at the last minute so will report when (if) I complete the mission.

Over and out xxx

Tags: Mountains

Comments

1

Thanks for the good news Angela. Glad you've been to Sugar loaf. It seems strange that assuming they never changed the car you could have been standing where I stood all those years ago in the 70's. Spooky.
Talking of spooky we had a Halloween bar hash last night. Yet another classic. I would get arrested and sectioned in the UK for acting like I did. Old buggers aren't supposed to enjoy themselves, just retire and watch TV.

Will be away from the computer till 21st Nov.

XX

  Dad Nov 11, 2007 8:45 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.