Existing Member?

Travel Blog For those who are interested, I am hoping to post regular updates from our trip on this site. Hope you enjoy!

Florence - 1st August 2009

USA | Saturday, 1 August 2009 | Views [463]

Wow, I have really been slack, sorry everyone!

We arrived in Florence hoping for some relief from the heat in Rome, but we were not in luck. It was just as bad!!  Our room was probably the crappiest room that we have had for the entire trip, but it was also the cheapest, so we really can't complain.  We spent the first afternoon orientating ourselves with the city and checking out the sights in the historic area.  We were about 10 minutes walk from the main square so it was really handy.

The next day, on Rach and Dan's recommendation, we went on a Tuscany tour that visited Siena, San Giovana (I need to check the spelling of that!) and finally Pisa, so it was a really big day.  The Tuscany region is just stunning, with vineyards olive groves and rolling hills as far as the eye can see.  We stopped at a farm for lunch, and the food and wine they served was entirely produced from their farm apart from the cheese.  It was amazing and one of the most memorable meals that we have had on our trip.  We were absolutely exhausted when we returned from the day, but it really was a great tour!

The following day we visited David at the Galleria Academia (he is enormous) and the leather markets and shops to find me the leather jacket that I had been promising myself for the entire trip.  I nearly passed out from trying them on in the heat, but I did manage to get one!!  Yay!!  After our shopping expedition, we jumped on the hop on hop off bus and checked out the rest of Florence for the day, including visiting inside the duomo.  Turls was really impressed with the blue sheet that they gave me to wear and couldn't stop laughing the whole time that we were in there.  I did look pretty stupid, particularly from behind (check out the photos).

Florence is a beautiful city, with amazing scenery and places to visit surrounding it.  Also to note, in Tuscany, they do not put salt in any of the bread and it tastes terrible!!!

Ciao for now!

Ange & Turls xx

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.