Existing Member?

virtual Mike & Andy show What we're upto on the road

South American adventure Part one

ARGENTINA | Monday, 11 March 2013 | Views [383] | Comments [2]

Monday, March 4, 2013

Washington/Dulles to Buenos Aries, Argentina

On Monday evening we departed Dulles Airport on our way to Argentina by way of Brazil.  After a number of months in the DC area we were ready to take off again.  It was a wonderful few months in Northern Virginia and other areas of the East Coast, visiting friends and family and getting reacquainted with our kitties, Munch & Zip.  Becky was wonderful opening her home to not only us, but to Munch and Zip as well.

Anyway, after a nine hour flight to San Paulo and then approximately nine hours waiting in the lounge we took off for Argentina, arriving on Tuesday, March 9, approximately 24 hours after we left.  We settled in for the night at a lovely guest house and then on Wednesday we moved to the Sabatico Hostel in downtown BA.  Believe it or not, we are already forgetting what day it is.  Much of today was spent locating the bus station and getting tickets to Mendoza, which is in the western area of the country.  One thing we have discovered in our short time here, the wine is good and inexpensive.  Tomorrow we plan to visit one or two museums and in particular where Evita made her famous speeches to the masses.

 

Friday, March 8

Today we spent sightseeing in Buenos Aries - we ventured out on the Subway.  It looks a lot like the subway in New York, in as much as it is old and has tiled walls, many with graffiti but there are a number of lovely painted scenes on the tiles as well.  I meant to take a photo of not only those, but of the graffiti on the trains, but I guess I just forgot.  We did get to Casa Rosada and I took a photo of the famous balcony where Evita did in fact energizer the crowds back in 1940’s.  She is much loved here to this day.

After that we wondered down a pedestrian walkway that was filled with shops and people - a few minutes there was just enough and then it was back on the subway for the Palermo neighborhood and the Botanical Garden.  Unfortunately the garden was closed due to some storm so that was a bust, but a good walk, at least one mile since we walked around the entire block to see if there was another entrance.  But No!

On the day we arrived in Buenos Aires, we had been walking around the neighborhood and noticed that there would be a music (tango) show and had decided at that time we wanted to attend.  After all, it was supporting local music and performers.  

So we had date night and went to Boticia del Angel and what a wonderful experience! Not only were we treated to a powerful and beautiful voice with amazing guitar, but it had the most beautiful collection of art work.  Everything from hugh wall collages with angels and stars, but fanciful acrylics and oil paintings which reminded me of not only Andy Warhol, but of Toluse Letrec and the posters he did of Paris ladies of the night.  Every crevice was filled with something to catch your eye.  Here was a time I wish I had my camera.  A really fun evening, even if I couldn’t understand most of the words that were sung, I could feel the emotion.

 

Saturday, March 9

Much of the day was spent waiting to get to the bus station and then on the bus on our way to Mendoza.  Our bus was scheduled to depart at 3:00, which it did, and was to arrive in Mendoza early on Sunday morning, which it did.  The ride was comfortable and  finally around midnight, the video showing movies in spanish (loudly) stopped, permitting me to get a few hours of sleep.  I woke a few times to look out the window at the sky, to see stars so bright and one shooting star.  How many of those do you see in metro DC?

 

Sunday, March 10

Arrived in Mendoza - found our lodging with little trouble, only a short three block walk with the packs - I’m getting stronger by the day, or maybe I just have the weight distributed better.  Anyway, we have a lovely corner room and will be quite comfortable for the next few days.  After a few hours rest we went off to the bus station to plan the next portion of the trip and then to one of the main squares in town (about 30 minutes walking from hostel) for some refreshment.  At the bus station we found out getting to Peru is a bit more difficult than we had originally thought - found out today that going to La Serena might be out of the question; so we might just head directly for Tacna on the Peru border and then go to Puno near Lake Titicaca.  Met some nice folks this evening on the patio of the hostel, all giving advice on the next stop or at least places to visit.

 

Comments

1

Glad you two arrived safely. Sounds like your adventure is going well! I look forward to hearing about your travels!

  Marianne Mar 12, 2013 10:18 AM

2

Hi Mike and Andy, Love getting a window into your travels! I imagine the country is rocking with the news about the new Argentinian Pope Francis. Wow, what a time to be there. Keep us all posted.
love you both

  Skilty and Tom Mar 14, 2013 9:36 AM

About andylawrence


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.