Existing Member?

Minimalist traveller

Georgian hospitality

GEORGIA | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [133] | Scholarship Entry

Go to Georgia. Now!

Have you ever been to Georgia? If not you should try it immediately. Not because it is a perfect country where you can go to the mountains or the sea, not even for the perfect food and wine, but you should go there to meet the wonderful people. Do not hesitate, go to Georgia and get your own impression. Mine was like “Wow! Is it possible?!?!”

My trip was 7 days long and I went from Svanetiya (mountains + beautiful views) to Tbilisi (old town + modern architecture + very special saunas). But I’m not going to waste your time with my encyclopedic knowledge. Google it or just ask me for more details if you want.

What I want to tell you about it is how I spent my time, 5-6 hours in one transit town — Zugdidi. It is a really small town. The main point of interest there is a gypsum Napoleon mask in the local museum. But if you go further out from the town, you may find a bar with a bad interior that doesn’t look too inviting.
But this bar would be an excellent place for you. Why? Because there you can feel the real generosity of Georgians.

I ordered two glasses: one with white wine for my girlfriend (you can taste homemade wine nearly everywhere in Georgia) and the other with beer for myself (also pretty good if you ask me). After I went to the toilet and came back to the bar I got confused. Here in my country they usually serve 500ml beer and 100ml or 150ml wine (if you are lucky enough). But that day I saw two 500ml thick beer glasses standing on the bar. After I asked the bar staff why they served me two beers I got an answer “Why two beers? One glass with beer but another one with wine”. 500 ml glass of wine! So my girlfriend spent a long time trying to finish almost a bottle!

This was just one example. There were also free hugs from many Georgian people, free unlimited Georgian wine and food tasting, a lot of smiles and of course the beautiful countryside.

So please do not hesitate, go there and get your own experience of Georgian hospitality!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About andreykravchenko


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Georgia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.