Existing Member?

A Gorgeous Bled Alternative

Vintgar Gorge- A Gorgeous Bled Alternative

SLOVENIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [146] | Scholarship Entry

The low, hanging clouds of an overcast August morning led to Lake Bled, usually so seductive, looking uncharacteristically gloomy.
Sensing an opportunity, my friends and I donned our swimming shorts to protect ourselves against the elements, and ventured four kilometres to the north.
After ambling along a tranquil local road in humid conditions, we found ourselves wandering inconspicuously through woods. Briefly considering that we may be lost, we curiously pressed on. A few hundred footsteps later, Vintgar Gorge emerged dramatically before us.
We found ourselves plunged into the midst of an environment almost as intense as the thrashing water of the Radovna River below.
Despite our hostel owner’s recommendation, we were hardly prepared for what we were to experience.
Sticking to the skiddy wooden walkway and bridges that traverse and cross the gorge, as if in a constant state of negotiation with the surrounding turbulence, we gazed in appreciation at the dynamic interaction occurring around us.
The steep vegetated slopes, and narrow passage encourage, but are ultimately worn down by, the resolute determination of the flowing water. The trees and canopy layers reach far up above as they arch over us while clinging to the jagged gorge walls.
I observe and listen carefully as the currents collectively lecture us about the fragility of man against the overwhelming force of nature. If I was to fall in, I think to myself, there would be little reasoning with the surging water.
As each burst of foamy water manipulated its path along and around the rocks, our clothes become dampened by the humid atmosphere, created by the sheer force of the water against the rocks.
At certain points, the river water rested briefly, calming as it took in the surroundings, allowing the sun to filter through between the steep slopes of the gorge, creating serene, green-blue waters. Before long, the channel narrowed and the water picked up the pace and charged forward once more.
As we walked back towards Bled, past the sleepy meadows, a heavy downpour fails to dampen our spirits.
The weather brightens as we arrive back at the shores of Lake Bled. I marvel at the contrast of these still waters compared to the torrents that we have just witnessed.
In reflection, it was a smart move to wear swimming shorts…

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About andrew_misra


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Slovenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.