Existing Member?

...Oops! I travelled again.

"Come and See It!"

NETHERLANDS | Wednesday, 30 April 2014 | Views [164] | Scholarship Entry

After five days travelling, 12 hours on the road and an unmeasurable amount on rain I finally arrived... somewhere.
It was late May when I started my journey through the world, at least to a 23 year-old venezuelan, departing from Madrid. I decided to go by train; it seemed like the most fun and straight-out-of-a-movie option. Also, I was broke and too young to rent a car.
I started with the usual: Paris. I had lived in the french capitol for a year and had vowed to not go back in the next five years but, I figured, it was a must see and a few crepes never hurt anybody. The two days I was there were rainy, expensive and very french. I'll spare you the details but it involved sleeping in Gare du Nord (the train station) with a few homeless, but very polite, people. All in all, I'd say I started on the right track.
Afterwards, I went to Amsterdam. Yes, I did what everybody does in the city. No, it wasn't a visit to the Sex Museum. I went to the Heineken Experience! I stayed put the whole day, probably cause I was to happy to move, before leaving to Roterdam to spend the night. So, yeah, you could say I profited a lot from such a cultural capitol (sorry, Netherlands!)
I hadn't booked tickets for my following journey to Berlin and foolishly ended up on the next train available that could take me closer to Germany. That train stopped at Venlo.
"Come and See It" means in spanish "Venlo a ver", which is the silliest pun I could come up with at midnight when I arrived. I started wandering arout the town, suitcase and ginormous camera on hand, wondering where on earth was I, when I found a bar, a german guy drinking hot coffee and a table to crash on. There, I found out this seemingly out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere place was actually an important city with a very historic background.
Since apparently we were the only people awake, I teamed up with the german guy to go on a nocturnal adventure through Venlo. Though we only walked a few blocks, it seemed like a very beautiful place with lots of sculptures and fountains.
We bought the weirdest pizza on the world and sat on the station's steps to wait for out 4am train to Berlin. Five drunk guys came, ate our pizza and gave us tips on where to party in Venlo and Berlin. Not so bad, I guess.
It was an adventure I'll never forget and I would definitely recommend everybody do so. Just don't book tickets in advance and the world will open up to you and take you places you never knew existed. Or at least to Venlo.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About andreinapuertas


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.