Existing Member?

Travel

Johannesburg to Sao Paulo

BRAZIL | Thursday, 10 April 2008 | Views [487]

Rising at 5am we got ready early so we could check out the airport shopping. We had some breakfast at one of the restaurants at the airport that looked out over the airplanes, the food was delicious and I had some strawberry juice! Yum! So we left ourselves a perfect amount of time to leisurely have breakfast and browse the shops. African souvineers are amazing, Andre bought some little presents from friends and made some zulu conversation with the locals! He made some freinds also, check out the photos (when we get around to adding them!)

The flight from Johannesburg to Sao Paulo was not much better than our first flight. The man in front of us smelt so bad it made us both feel really sick, it smelt like sweaty balls or something yukkk. Towards the end of the flight it got so bad we asked this nice man if we could sit with him as he had two spare seats. He was also brasilian and Andre spoke with him lots in portuguese; I tried to listen and understand but ended up falling asleep!

Flying over Africa and then Brasil, you notice such a change in the landscape. Africa was deep red and flat; the land formations looked like ripples in the water only solid, it was amazing but I don't have photos of this, just of their crops which were in circles. Then you see Brasil and the land is extremely green with lots steep hills and brown lakes. I started to get really excited and was even happier when I stepped of the plane and noticed the weather was warm and humid! I thought it might have been cold, but the weather is perfect here!

Our flight got in about 6pm and we met Leandro (Andres brother) who was there to pick us up for the long/slow drive to his home. It didnt seem long to me as there was so much to look at! There were people selling items on the highway, like toys for kids, cashews and one lady was carrying a small oven with conical paper cups holding nuts on top. The price was really cheap, just 1 real (about 50c i think).

We arrived at Andres home and met his mother outside, she is so sweet and she gives the most gentle hugs! Everyone was so welcoming, I also met his beautiful sister Silvia and her goegeous children, Leonardo and Mariana. They were very shy but so excited to see Andre they didnt stop running around the whole night! Andres father Cirilo was also very nice, he came home from work not too much later, and Andres friends visited later on in the night.

We took a trip to the supermarket just before dinner. It was huge, like kmart and coles combined, selling everything from TVs to fruit. And their fruit was very strange.... Pineapples are triangle shaped and kiwi fruit was long and skinny, the passionfruit and avocados were MASSIVE. I also tried goiyaba fruit which is delicious! We just bought some food for breakfast and went home for a yummy dinner that Arleide cooked (Andres mum). We had Beef and onions, beans, rice, salad and eggs, similar to what Andre has made me before in Australia.

We gave some presents to his family after dinner and showed them some videos. Dad, Arleide and everyone was very impressed with the jewellery box and puzzle! Cirilo was the first one to work it out :)

Andres house is small compared with the houses in Australia but I think it is much better like that. Their home is beautiful, check out the photos!

Anyway Tchau for now!

About andre_jen


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.