Existing Member?

Pearls from the World

Catching a Moment - Brazilian Night Lights

BRAZIL | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [235] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

Cocooned in the rustic metallic shell of an aged VW Beetle, we braved the bumpy, unlit and lonely rural roads in the Brazilian hinterland. There were four of us being thrown around in the vehicle, a friend, myself and two amicable Brazilian we had met earlier in the week. We were making our way to the village of Mandirituba for a biannual local 'dance' we were told we “mustn’t miss”. At the time that was more than enough information for us to jump into the relic Beetle and depart on a late-night mission into the expanse of wilderness. Fuelled by the well known Brazilian 'alegria' we passed by several villages under a thick sheet of luminous stars, kicking up the dust in our trail. The journey was a usual hive of conversation astir with the quintessential flowing Latin music. It was in this fashion that our vintage beauty jostled ever slowly toward the dance. Weaving our way through the dense greenery we began to take notice of the brightness above. It was the first time I had seen the night sky so truly glorious and intact that it immediately captivated my attention. Thereafter we soon veered off the road and took an impromptu stop close to a stream. The tired engine seemed to appreciate the gesture. As we stepped out of the car, the scene from above fully revealed itself. The beautiful mosaic of light glowed imposingly around us, catching even our local friends off guard. The experience was so mesmerizing that we decided to lie on the road gazing skyward and take in its full majesty. The sky resembled a clear window into space. The numerous trails of light that zipped by instantly, became the source of entertainment as we stargazed. We lost ourselves in thought and the few words exchanged were soon enveloped by the sound of lively crickets and a fast flowing river. Time eased by. In the end, we returned to the vehicle with a new vigour. We had been humbled, yet energized. For much of the remaining journey we speculated on the mysteries still locked in space, with a sense of privilege of having shared this unforgettable moment.

Comments

1

mysteries still locked in space, so damn pretty..

  dan Apr 20, 2013 6:35 AM

2

Lovely story...truly makes you wonder...

  Patricia Apr 24, 2013 4:50 AM

About andeh


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.