Existing Member?

A Taste of Paris

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

FRANCE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [309] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

A Parisian Adventure

     I had enjoyed my brief stay in Paris, really not much more than an extended layover on my way home from Africa, but there was still one more thing I had to do. I couldn’t leave without seeing the Paris landscape from the Eiffel Tower. 

 

     As I waited in one of the long lines curving out from one of the towers four feet, the sun was beginning to make its decline down toward the western horizon on my third and final night in the city of lights.  My thoughts turned toward the last few days, and I was satisfied with my first taste of Paris, a city that was a dream I had carried in my heart ever since I was a little girl.  Only months before my art teacher had shared his experience of standing in front of a Van Gogh painting, and now to my amazement I had that experience too; and not just Van Gogh, but Degas and Monet - all of the Masters I adore.  I had also been charmed by the smile of a famous woman, whose intrigue I never really understood.  Standing in the Louvre before the Mona Lisa I got it.  That was just a sampling of the many works of art I had only begun to taste.

 

     As I made my way to the front of the line, my arms heavy with sacks of treasures from that day’s shopping excursions, I was dismayed to learn that because of strong winds the top tier was closed.  Immediately I felt disappointed that I would have to be content with the second level, but I quickly decided to not let that dampen my excitement.

 

     I made my way, ticket in hand, toward the glass elevator.  After a short wait, I was on and up we rode, the steel lattice work beams quickly passing me by and the ground slowly moving away.  I got off briefly on the first level, making my way around all the sides trying to catch every angle of the view I could.  Then it was on to the second level.  After another brief ride, I was there.  I once again made it around to every side, soaking in the warm summer sun as it continued its journey westward.  I had been nervous coming to Paris, worried she wouldn’t live up to my high expectations, but she not only met them, she exceeded them.  Her enchantments had wooed me, and I had fallen hopelessly in love with her.  I stood, the wind whipping my hair unruly around me, the grand majestic Tower made into an elongated shadow to my side, and Paris in all her grandeur lay out before me, this had been the view I was waiting for.  I promised myself this wouldn’t be my only Parisian adventure.  I would come back. Next time I’m making it to the top.

Comments

1

Sounds like the top of the tower being closed was a mixed blessing -- just one more reason to go back ASAP!

  aro-tron Mar 28, 2011 8:57 PM

About amywashere


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.