Existing Member?

Wander the world? Don't mind if I do!

Planning for my big summer of sailing

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [416]

This is my Brazil ship, Lord Nelson (in the foreground) with Tenacious in back

This is my Brazil ship, Lord Nelson (in the foreground) with Tenacious in back

So this summer will be pretty epic in terms of travel. Even more epic than last summer (which is saying something).

 

In mid June, I will be flying down to Recife, Brazil to board my home for the next two months, the British tall ship SV Lord Nelson. I've done many voyages sailing on tall ships before, but never on Nellie (as she's affectionately known). We're going to be setting off northward sometime around 20 June, aiming for Halifax, Nova Scotia, on the east coast of Canada. Our route and stops along the way will be entirely weather dependent, but I've heard rumours that we may be stoppin in the Grenadines, the West Indies, and the British Virgin Islands all in the Caribbean, and then in Newport, Rhode Island, USA, and then in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada, before finally stopping in Halifax. The trip is slated to take us 45 days.

When we finish in Halifax though, that's not the end of the sailing for me. I am staying aboard the ship for a few days of PR stuff, and then I'm on board for another seven days of sailing just around Nova Scotia. I'm quite looking forward to it, as I've not seen much of our east coast at all!

After this second voyage, my mom is flying down to Halifax from Alberta to join me, and we will spend a little bit of time traipsing around our south-easternmost province before finally heading home, more than two months after flying southward on a plane by my lonesome.

There are many more sailings (six, to be exact. Possibly even seven) to come after this one, in 2014 alone. But flying home from Halifax marks the end of my first big adventure of the summer.

 

Anyways, I'm currently in the process of planning all these shennanigans.

First of all, there's the fact that I actually need to figure out whether my dear friend Kelsey and I are going to Peru on a tour before I go sailing or not. Unsure if this is going to happen (still waiting on K's financial situation). But this has to get decided before anything else can. If we are going to Peru, that tour needs to get booked, then my flights from home to Peru, from Peru to Recife, and from Halifax back home need to get booked ASAP. If we're not going, I still need to get flights from home to Recife and Halifax back to home booked. And I leave in approx. one month. EEK!

Then mom and I need to decide how long we're spending in Nova Scotia this summer, where all we're going to stay, which depends on what all we want to see, and then we need to book the rental car and book all the hotels around the province.

Then there is also all of the standard things I need to get done before leaving - buying travel insurance, getting foreign currencies, PACKING (thankfully I've already spent mornings at work drafting up a nice, comprehensive list of everything I need to pack to outfit me from cold, wet, north Atlantic climates, to tropical Caribbean islands in the dead of summer)... I've certainly got my work cut out for me!

Tags: planning, sailing

About amythedancingsailor

Another gorgeous photo of my baby girl, Tenacious

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.