Existing Member?

Our Big Adventure To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries... Aldous Huxley

Home for a holiday

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 28 January 2010 | Views [216]

I've been at home about a month now and it has been wonderful. A rocky start to arriving with the snow holding me up in Manchester, UK but got back eventually! We're leaving Berry tomorrow though and heading to Sydney. I've been doing a bit of the tourist thing in my own region as Enrique arrived last Wednesday and we've been traipsing around ever since!

We have been down to Jervis Bay which was absolutely sensational. It has 'arguably' the whitest sand in the world and the water was so refreshing, clear and that beautiful aqua blue...

We've also been up to the Southern Highlands and done some of the highlights there - Illawarra Fly Walk was one of these. It's the new 'Canopy Tour' which has a massive metal structure that allows you to walk around close to the top of the canopy at about 25m above the ground. It made for something different and the views were quite sensational. You can see all the way to Wollongong and down the coast. It was a great structure too that has cantilevered sections that let you walk right out in the middle of nowhere! No trip to Robertson is complete without eating a pie from the Famous Pie Shop so Enrique was introduced to the Aussie Pie and we took a very quick gander at the Big Potatoe but it is really the most unattractive 'Big Thing' that we have in Australia.

Fitzroy Falls was the next stop and it's about 90m high and looked lovely though we were sweltering in the heat of about 38 degrees! I commented on how high they were and Enrique reminded me that Angel Falls in Venezuela, where we're going later this year, is around 800m high so that put it in a bit of perspective though not taking anything away from how pretty our falls are at Fitzroy!!

A trip to Canberra happened as no trip to Australia is complete without visiting our Nation's Capital! We went just for a night and caught up with some friends and even did a tour of Parliament House though we didn't attempt to roll down the hill!

We've also visited Gerroa, Gerringong, Kiama, Nowra etc...! We've been to the beach almost every day as Enrique is determined to get this surfing thing down pat! He's going well too and can actually stand up on the board every once in a while!

Tomorrow we're off to Sydney for a night and then heading up to Byron Bay for the weekend to celebrate Megan's 30th birthday!

About amyruth


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.