Existing Member?

Amy's Travel Blog Welcome to "Tour de Dan", a heritage trip to celebrate my Dad's 75th year by visiting sites from his life

Getting to India

INDIA | Sunday, 9 November 2008 | Views [639] | Comments [6]

Set new personal record for most hours spent sealed in an aluminum tube (15 from Chicago to Delhi), but at least the food was good (halibut marinated in coconut & mint, steamed in banana leaf, with saffron rice and saag paneer (mustard greens, spinach, fenugreek greens with ginger).  Blubbered through an incredibly sentimental Indian movie "Mere Baap Pehle Aap" of an aging widower who has a chance meeting with a woman he loved years before.  Their reunion is facilitated by young prankster relatives.  It's. About. Love. A glutton for punishment, I follwed that with "Thoda Pyar Thoda Magic" about a yuppie, four orphans, and an angel.

Leaving the airport we saw a camel loping along in the dark.  My generous company put me up at the Shangri La hotel (see photo) where a staffer applied a red powder bindi just as I entered (also a photo).

 

Comments

1

How exciting for you. Hope you have a lovely time as you traverse the globe. Went to an Indian wedding in Laguna Beach last May - four days of feasting and merriment - so I have my own "red powder" experience. Have a great trip. Margaret

  margaret Nov 9, 2008 8:23 AM

2

My goodness, Amy! There you go again. I hope it's not all business. What an adventure! Have a wonderful time.

Love to you,
Bev

  Aunt Bev Nov 9, 2008 8:45 AM

3

Cool. One of my most memorable business trips for CBB was to India. I hope you get a chance to get up to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. The drive alone was a surreal experience.

Regards,
Chris, Kim, and Max

  Chris Nov 9, 2008 3:10 PM

4

Wow! How time and people fly! Sorry to have missed you in Seattle. I'm still fighting the same bug. Don't you get it!

Friends were where you are last year. Now they're in Argentina. Hope to keep track of your adventures and what's been happening at home, too. Love, yer aunt

  Pat Osborn Nov 9, 2008 4:01 PM

5

Look at you, all glamorous! I'll have to sign up for Netflix and see if we can get that Bollywood film. I could use a good cry. :)

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us like this! I hope you're not too jet-lagged, and that the business part of the trip is painlessly productive.

Pat, so sorry to have missed you and Chuck on your way through. Here's to getting well quickly.

Looking forward to more food blogging,
Abbie

  Ab Nov 9, 2008 5:51 PM

6

Alright just to rub it in huh who sent you the roses
Wow you are a queen and I didnt even know it .......yeah right I just knew it!!!!......

  eri Nov 10, 2008 2:04 AM

About amyr62


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.