Existing Member?

The Travelling World Of Amy

I fell in love with Paris.

FRANCE | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [163] | Scholarship Entry

"I'll never forget the day that I caught the travel bug”
On a summers night in 2007, I was 15, I had just spent two weeks in England visiting family and was about to embark on a five week trip through France and Italy with my grandparents. Starting in Paris, then taking a train to Rome, then hiring a car and road tripping up through Italy, across the south of France, a quick day trip into Spain, and then back up to Paris to fly home to Melbourne.
It was July and the nights were long and warm.
We happened to be in Paris for the Summer solstice and for the “Fête de la Musique”.
After an evening dining with my grandparents and their friends near the Notre Dame, we wound our way through the narrow streets of the Latin quarter being pushed and pulled along the current of people out onto the grand boulevards that Paris is famous for. The atmosphere was electric, the whole city was buzzing. People stopping to listen to acoustic guitars, opera singers, jazz bands, soul singers, pop punk bands, something different on every corner. The wine was flowing (not for me though), crepes were being devoured and spirits were dancing.
At 1am I stood out on my tiny little balcony in my pink pajamas overlooking Boulevard Saint-Germain and listened to the music bellow and thought “This is it, this is what life is about!”
That feeling has never left me, my mission in life is to create as many moments like this as possible, no drugs or alcohol needed just life, freedom and a valid passport.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About amyaelizabeth


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.