Existing Member?

That's not a sunset, that's a bird on fire.

Don Khon & Savannahket

LAOS | Wednesday, 7 October 2009 | Views [906] | Comments [4]

Welcome to Laos! The most heavily bombed country per capita in the world!

The Americans dropped about 2.2 million (MILLION!) tonnes of explosives on this itty bitty country in the 60's and 70's, and if you think that's bad... well about 30% of those never actually exploded on impact. So poor little Laos is littered with Unexploded Ordinance (UXO's for short) which have killed approximately 10,000 people since the Vietnam/American War ended.

There's your fun fact of the day. We bussed from Stung Treng past the border to Laos (not Louse or Lay-Os, it actually rhymes with cow) and boated through the 4000 Island range along the Mekong and stopped at a little gem of an island called Don Khon. It's one of those little paradises where you're lying in your hammock watching the palm trees sway over the river and every half hour someone says, "this is the life then isn't it?"

We spent 4 days there, though it feels like one and we didn't even do anything! Took another super long (9 hours) bus ride to Laos' third largest city, Savannahket. Nothing too noteworthy here, we've just been running errands as this is the first actual city we've been in for two weeks so it's time to stock up on cash and goodies.

As for me, I think it's important that everyone know I've gone 13 days without eating chocolate. Not by choice, certainly not by choice. It's just hot here and not a single person sells chocolate because of it's high melting point and there are about zero air conditioned shops or markets that are in a position to offer them. BUT tomorrow we are heading to Vientianne (the Capital) where there are French inspired bakeries and, at the very least, a supermarket!

Comments

1

I am sure glad you are not alone on this trip. Sounds like some wonderful sights and experiences and some not so nice sights and experiences! Don't get caught in the floods. It is still better than the snow we are supposed to get in the next few days.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! We will be sure to eat lots of turkey and potatoes for you! Take care - Cheers!
Love mom and dad

  Mom Smith Oct 8, 2009 12:32 AM

2

Hi guys - gal I work with said when you go to Vietnam you should try to get to China Beach. She said it is beautiful. They stayed at the Sandy Beach Resort.
Bye for now. Love Mom XX00

  Mom Oct 8, 2009 12:41 AM

3

Hi Amy & Brock....hope you don't mind me reading about your trip, it will probably the closest I get to Vietnam and area. Sounds fantastic! Remi had a few long horrifying bus rides himself in Brazil. As long as you are safe these experience will be the most amazing memories....even the cockroaches YICK

  Theresa Charron Oct 8, 2009 12:55 AM

4

Thanks Mom! I was actually looking at resorts on China Beach (Da Nang), bit too expensive to stay in the nice ones but we will go there for a few days. We decided not to go to Bali after all so we're going to spend an extra week in south Vietnam right near the Cambodian border on an island called Dao Phu Quoc for a well deserved beach break! Miss you so so much, hope you enjoy the snow HAHA!

Hi Theresa! I actually thought we'd be in Vietnam by now, but we keep finding too many things to do in Laos so I think it will still be another week and a half! We're kind of getting used to the horrendous bus rides, and at least the major routes in Laos and most of Vietnam has actual paved highways which it makes it a lot better. Cambodia, I think, is the least developed and it doesn't get anywhere the same amount of tourist traffic so it's a ways-away from being a journey of comfort. Hope you are doing well, tell Remi I said hello!

  amy_smith Oct 9, 2009 3:51 PM

About amy_smith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.