Existing Member?

That's not a sunset, that's a bird on fire.

Phuket & Phnom Penh

THAILAND | Sunday, 20 September 2009 | Views [581] | Comments [2]

I actually really liked the city of Patong in Phuket for the first day, but then it started to get really irritating with all the market people demanding you look into their shops. The unfortunate thing is that most of the aggressive annoying people aren't even Thai, they appeared to be Indian or Pakistani imports. There also seemed to be an indiscriminate amount of old fat bald white men with lithe young Thai women. Not that I judge or anything, but ew. Then it was on to Bangkok for one more night where our travel agent had written the wrong date when booking our hotel stay so they upgraded us to a room called "Superior Deluxe" and it certainly was. It actually had a bathtub. I haven't seen one of those in two months! I'm really going to miss Thailand. Don't know how a whole month has gone by. I forgot to mention that all the women here love Brock. Love him! Little girls stare at him, older women refer to him openly as "tall and handsome" haha they're wonderful. It also made me realize that since coming to Southeast Asia I haven't been leered at, ogled, hit on, or experienced anything remotely suggestive. Compared to Greece and Istanbul, the men here are absolute gents! Astoundingly polite and respectful. It's refreshing. Super early flight brought us to Cambodia! Arrived in the capital Phnom Penh (some people say it 'Penom Pen', I say 'Nom Pain') it's a decent city... we pretty much expected it to be in a lot worse shape than Thailand and apparently the rest of Indochine and it is. Lots of garbage too, actually say a naked baby rifting through rubbish yesterday. That's nice. What's funny is that in Thailand that record we spotted of amount of people on one scooter was 4. Now I think even 3 people is pushing it and would not ride with more than even 2! So right away here we saw tons of 4 people on and made a bet of a beer for whoever would be the first to spot a fiver. We're thinking it's just a joke and would be waiting a long time if ever to see one... well not one hour later Brock spotted the first, then I spotted the second and now it's unalarming to see 5 people (5 people!) on one little scooter. Until of course today, this the second day, when we saw a family of 6 (SIX!) on one scooter. Crazy Kampucheans! The currency here is off the wall. Everywhere takes American money and advertises prices as such. Though they seem to accept anything. We paid for breakfast (all you can eat buffet, good too, for $2.75 USD) with Thai Baht and received our change in American dollars and Cambodian Riels. Beer here is also cheaper than water. Which isn't saying much because the pub next to our hotel is selling pints for 50 American cents. Love it! We deserve some beer tonight in that we spent the day at the Killing Fields and the Genocide Museum (aka the Khmer prison/torture centre). It will take a hundred paragraphs to describe the reaction we had to it and I'd really rather not think about it anymore today so I will write about it in a few days. But, it was so horrifying that even my cold black heart couldn't contain the tears. Spend some time learning the history of Cambodia circa 1976-79 and you'll be a bit more prepared for my account.

Comments

1

You two move fast - already in Cambodia! Your dad says you should put Brock up for auctin - we are sure the ladies there would offer a fair price for someone so "tall and handsome". Glad to hear all is well. I am sure it was very upsetting to go to the Museum. No snow here yet! Chris and Cat have moved in and it was a paint fest in Red Deer yesterday. Today your dad and I rest! Love you - take care - enjoy - be safe. Love mom and dad

  Mom Sep 21, 2009 2:13 AM

2

Hi Amy

I'm loving your descriptive stories! - Brock's emails are good but he just doesn't have your ability to really explain what it's like! I hope the two of you continue to have a great time
Marianne

  Marianne Sep 23, 2009 7:25 AM

About amy_smith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.